General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Camaro 3800 series V6 5 speed misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Default 1998 Camaro 3800 series V6 5 speed misfiring

I have been working on my wife's car for a few days now. It was shaking and jerking, smelled like rotton eggs, and smelled like it was overheating. I started off replacing the EGR valve, which it needed anyway, thought that it might have been sticking. Changed the thermostat just in case, do to the overheating smell. Well that didn't work. Father in law has worked on cars for over 20+ years. He said make sure their is spark. I took an old spark plug and plugged one of the wires up to it, turned the car over and we had spark. Next was to check if there was spark on the coil packs.

Father in law said to pull off each one of the wires to the coil packs, and see if the car bogs down. Well first of all I used a wooden handle to pry off each one, so I would not get shocked. Got to the coil pack furthest under the dash and no spark. Went to Autozone bought a new coil pack so I could rule out that because I couldn't drive it to have it checked. Replaced the coil pack and nothing, still no spark. Had a few friends and my father in law said more than likely it is the ignition control module. Well while flying blind not knowing what the heck was wrong with the thing. Autozone wants $127 for a new one. "YIKES". I went to the junk yard and pulled one off of a 99'. Took it to Autozone had it checked, had the old one checked, and yes the one on the car was bad. Refunded the coil pack I had bought and went home to put it all back together with new module from junk yard. BTW it only cost me $25 at the junk yard. What a heck of a savings. Got it all put back together and it run's great. Thanks to all of the posts, this is the first place I came to find out what the heck could be wrong. I am learning more and more all of the time.
Thanks again.