General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'00 z28 misses while in Odrive..temp jumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Default '00 z28 misses while in Odrive..temp jumps

Just got the car today. I was driving it home. About a 9hr trip. It was running perfect till I got about 75% of the way home. When I was going up a few hills that weren't very steep at all the temp would plummet to 100 degrees and the car would miss (or jump) kinda like you let off the gas for a split second and press it again. I had the cruise on so it was not my error. It kept doing this while the temp. gauge would jump from 100 all the way up to 180 very quickly, back and forth. I personally have no idea what could be the problem, so my dad and I decided to top off the antifreeze and coolant. We did this mostly cuz the temp. was about 190-200 on a very cool day. It later dropped to about 170. Should be about 160 or so...I believe. It didn't do it as often the rest of the way, but still did it even on the straightaways. Any ideas...I'd appreciate any help. Tends to do it on the hills though. Please help...sure hope its not anything too serious.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: '00 z28 misses while in Odrive..temp jumps

ok, the temp thing is prob. a thermostate wich is 190-180 stock. may be suck or the fans not working properly. a tune up will prob fix the other prob. a fuel filter will do that sometime.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thermostat would be my 1st guess but you might consider flushing the rad and check the belts and water pump. Fluid leaking from around the water pump shaft usually indicates a problem. Over heating can also occur if for some reason the distributer advanced which might also explain the miss fire. Did you notice if the motor was pinging or making a rattling sound?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM

I really didn't notice a pinging or rattling sound. What could that mean if it did? My dad also thought it might be the thermostat. Maybe I could start there or the fuel filter. I know a good mechanic personally, so I might give him a call too. Good to have a few opinions on what it might be. Anyone else ever have a similar problem?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Over heating can be caused if the timing for some reason advance which is noted by a pining or rattling sound. This might happen if a distributer advance spring failed or the timing chain jumped which might explain the miss firing - I would go with the thermostat and tune up theory for now but keep the other in mind.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:28 PM

I went to http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ and see I can get one for $53 or as cheap as $12. Says install is easy too.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM

A mechanic I know said, it's very unlikely it'd be the thermostat, but could be the problem. He said it was more likely there is air in the cooling system. How exactly would you drain the radiator of air. I already filled it with antifreeze while it was running and the cooling reservoir was full. He also said it could be a head gasket. Any other ideas?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

before you get into too many things, check the temp sending unit and gauge. could just be a faulty gauge. would it move really fast, like a split second from 180-100, or did it take a lil while? and when the engine would let up, would it be on a downhill at all? mine would do that on a downhill section, and would act like it wanted to stall

Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM

thx for the reply. And yes it's very quick, like a second it will go from 180 to 100 and then back again. It never did it down hill, mostly uphill, and a few times on the straightaway. As soon as it does that, the car misses or misfires. Doesn't have power for a split second. I had the cruise on about 70 and it still maintains speed.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

microkid: Good call. I'm some what old school and missed this, but your right a faulty heat sensor could signal a computer on newer models to kill the ignition if temperature went above a certain temperature. Hum, give me a 68 Dart slant 6 and a screw driver and I'll take you around the world - lol

Quick Reply: '00 z28 misses while in Odrive..temp jumps