General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

MusicMan's Second Run, 15's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: MusicMan'

Ok, I'm in a bad mood again. The guy at the scrap yard that opperates the tractor to move the cars around quit right before he picked up the firebird. So now I have to wait until they hire another guy. Second, nobody caries a clutch disk for my car, I went to both carquest and napa, and spent a long time looking through the books. There's a great selection for the 3.4, but nothing for the 3.8, and the whole kit is going to set me back $250.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

While I was driving the truck to the yard, I was thinking about what you said stig,

Old 06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you're one of the few guys I really trust when it comes to V6 stuff. Are the stock manifolds really that bad? I mean, it seems

Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

odd that just an exhaust sytem would take almost a whole second off, considering if I hook. I thought the rear end with 4.10 gears would do better than that, because

Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I could launch fairly hard, and spin the tires a lot less. Well, I'm only spinning 1. I could squeeze a budget exhaust onto the car right now if I wanted to, but I would have to get the painted headers, can't afford ceramic. And I could not afford the cai and clutch. I'm interested to hear more about this.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

well if you have good tyres on there, then you need to practice your luanching. 2.464 is bad and thats what is hurting your times. I looked on some of my old timeslips when I was running 15.7ish and most of them were in the 2.327 range. I was also trapping 86-87, so you can still shave some time off your pass. Just practice your luanch.

The headers on the 00-02 3.8s are upgraded from the 95-99 3.8s. If you had an 00-02 and didnt have major plans for the car then you could leave the stock manifolds. But for you I would recomend upgrading to pacesetter headers or something. The non ceramic coated ones are fine, just put some header paint on them when you get them. Black headers look sexy imo. Not only do they really open up your exhaust, they have a much deeper & louder sound.

If your on a budget just get an Ebay intake with a K&N filter. It will let the engine breath better than stock and it doesnt cost a lot. If you got the headers, gears, LSD & intake you could run mid-high 14s all day.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

just ordered a cai

Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

gonna try for the rear end again tommorow. Is it worth grabbing the one piece driveshaft out of that firebird for $40?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicman2.0
Is it worth grabbing the one piece driveshaft out of that firebird for $40?
is it steel or Aluminum?

If its aluminum its one hell of a deal. If its steel, I wouldnt. It is an upgrade, but you better off just getting an aluminum 1 peice driveshaft.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheStig

well if you have good tyres on there, then you need to practice your luanching. 2.464 is bad and thats what is hurting your times. I looked on some of my old timeslips when I was running 15.7ish and most of them were in the 2.327 range. I was also trapping 86-87, so you can still shave some time off your pass. Just practice your luanch.

The headers on the 00-02 3.8s are upgraded from the 95-99 3.8s. If you had an 00-02 and didnt have major plans for the car then you could leave the stock manifolds. But for you I would recomend upgrading to pacesetter headers or something. The non ceramic coated ones are fine, just put some header paint on them when you get them. Black headers look sexy imo. Not only do they really open up your exhaust, they have a much deeper & louder sound.

If your on a budget just get an Ebay intake with a K&N filter. It will let the engine breath better than stock and it doesnt cost a lot. If you got the headers, gears, LSD & intake you could run mid-high 14s all day.

As Stig said, you'd pull mid-high 14s all day granted that you launch right. I run high 14s in my 99 3.8 auto. Trust Stig man... He knows his stuff =d

Quick Reply: MusicMan's Second Run, 15's!