General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

GTI times

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: GTI times

I am compairing totally stock with totally stock I drove both, the cobalt did feel slightly faster to me but the GTI 6 speed is effortless and the power is very linearso it is deceiving at any rate I didnt think they were that far apart.

Big Nick..... why do you not think it was a v8? I mean the times are real close to the video you posted and that was a SS running at night with obviously good track conditions????

600 since the times you gave for the Cobalt were 1/4 mile I used this converter http://www.wallaceracing.com/8th-quarter-conversion.php
I will do the math on this I guess15.2 1/4th = 9.74 1/8th and 14.3 1/4th = 9.15 1/8th...thats.02 seconds faster than the GTI timeswith a top gun driver with an average time of 9.445.... heythat means my brothers a better than average driver ... and proves what I am saying is plausable

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

The SS cobalt would be stronger in the 1/8th vs the GTI then in the 1/4. The cobalt has very low gearing and has a massive amount of torque off the line. The cobalt will pull hard off the line in first and second. Once you get passed that the GTI will hold its own but not make up any ground from the first two gears. At the end of the day once again a stock GTI stands a snow ***** chance in Hell vs a stock LS1 from a dig or from a roll. N/A power is instant vs small turbo lag plus over 125 horse power and 150 torque on a car that is only slitly heaver. Keep in mind i am not calling BS or any thing like that just stating the fact that its not the cars if this happend. More like the driver.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

I said previously the LS car should have been faster, it was obviously a fluke. I was driving his LT1 Vette- 6 speed around today it isdefinatly faster than the GTI and I think it would be compairable to most stock LS1 cars.

I really have to disagree with you on the Cobolt issue though I believe there were three of them I seen run at this track none ever came close to breaking 9 in stock form. Now after the one went to some sort of stage upgrade it went below but not in stock form. Now I told you what ours ran, you gave me data that supports my numbers and if you check out drag times http://www.dragtimes.com/ChevroletCo...ag-Racing.html I dont think there is one SC SS that ran below 9.0 in stock form heck I dont think there is even one below 9.2 in stock form and I doubt the owners are going to post their worst times either. To me the data doesnt support the two cars are that far away from each other in the 1/8 mile.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

LS1>LT1 or even LT4 Sorry there is no comparison. I cant compare 1/8 mile times since most of my time is spent at the 1/4 but there are stock SS/SC in the 14.0-14.5 range. Over a half second faster then the GTI. As stated before most of that is in the first two gears that the cobalt excels. You can compare charts, data, and conversions all day long. The LS1 is a low 13 second car, Cobalt SS/SC is a low 14 second car, GTI is a high 14 second low 15 second car. Facts are Facts.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

plus the GTI has turbo lag to deal with off the line is where a SC or N/A car will have the greatest advantage over it sorry man if your brothers faster in his GTI its probly becuse he dosent know how to launch with power off the line....

Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNic

plus the GTI has turbo lag to deal with off the line is where a SC or N/A car will have the greatest advantage over it sorry man if your brothers faster in his GTI its probly becuse he dosent know how to launch with power off the line....
lol. [8D]

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

You know I was just going to let this die but what the heck its kind of fun. We want to speak of facts do we...
1. Big Nick you supplied a video that showsan SS car runing 9.1 I say a LS powered car ran a 9.2.... Thank you Nick for that one I couldnt have asked for a better example

2. 600 You gave me numbers that support the timemy brothersSS cobalt ran ... And now you are trying to argue its faster but you again repete the same numbers I dont really know how to address your circular arguement

3. An independant source known as drag times lists times that cars have run if one would look up the ss sc cobalt you would find that there isnt a SS SC cobalt in stock form that has run below 9.1 or 9.2 and you guys what to key on driving ability for running a stock SS SC 9.4 on a unprepped track actually I give him credit I am sure he would outdrive most of you on any given day,

4. The same source of facts shows a 2007 GTI running close to the same times I posted..

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

check again there cheif its a 9 flat oops....

and to be honest with you ive seen LS1s launch much much harder than that

the simple fact is that the cobalt by in large is the faster car....

second your trying to quote a clearly V6 car a 8 cus you got fooled by some dummey badges so forgive me if my trust in you automotive knowlege isnt so sturdy

finally dont pick fights mention a independant sorce and then not have a link for that source tyvm....

Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

heres a TA in the 8s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXemkS7cUsoh watch the third race you may find it intresting

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

OK so you want to play.... OK I WILL BITE
That is not the best time for a LS1 i think traction was a issue or a running issue. 13.3 to 15.0 thats 1.7 seconds do the math. The LS1 will normally be stronger from a dig where the GTI would be kind of week out of the hole.

The SS runs over .7 seconds faster in the 1/8th most independent source are not the best to find times. In fact i have seen one or two that rate the SS/SC at 15.0 seconds. This would be with a very bad driver as some of the fastest stock SS/SC times have been 14.0s. In fact even a normal driver can run a low 14 in that car with practice. As said above the cobalt is very strong out of the hole and will cut a better 60 time with a good driver then the GTI. Sorry if you are cutting better 60's with the GTI it is due to lack of experince not the cars.

A stock GTI should be in the 15.2-14.8 range no where near the cobalt or SS times.

I would let this thing die.

Quick Reply: GTI times