General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Dodge guy with ?'s about Camaros

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM

You guys are helping alot. I think I will replace the rear end with 4.10's to be safe. I will put an under-drive pulley system, headers, true duals, Cam and intake. I love how these cars are so inexpensive to build compared to the Dodges. So much aftermarket support. Now to find a car for 5 -6K. I love racing more than I love dodge so this is why I am buying a Camaro. Until I can afford to build a 451 Stroker.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you are looking for a car to strictly be a bracket race car I would consider buying one that is already done especially in todays economy. The 3 rd gen camaro with a smallblock make good bracket cars.. they are more accessable to work on under the hood and are cheaper.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by GRIFF
If you are looking for a car to strictly be a bracket race car I would consider buying one that is already done especially in todays economy. The 3 rd gen camaro with a smallblock make good bracket cars.. they are more accessable to work on under the hood and are cheaper.
That may be a good idea if it is all ready done up for drag racing. I didn't give it any thought because I beat a 3rd gen Z28 heads up with my Ram so I just figured newer Camaro's would be a better place to start. I like the 4th Gen looks better also. But I will check on craiglist and racingjunk to see what's out there. Thanks for the idea.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

holy old thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by combatsp
Hi all. I am a Dodge man but want to buy a car to bracket race and unfortunately dodge doesn't make an affordable v-8 car. Racing my truck is fun but a car would be better. I was looking at the 4th gen Camaros as an alternative with an Auto Trans. They look good and Chevy knows how to put down some good power. I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys in selecting the best combo.

Which engine models are available in V-8's?
Which rear end gears are available?
How fast(1/4 mile) is a stock Camaro and how fast could I expect to go with basic bolt on's? CAI, Programmer, Exhaust.
Which CAI, programmer and exhaust is good/affordable?
How much would a stock V-8, Auto be with about 80k miles?

Any other info you guys could supply that I forgot to ask about would be appreciated. Anything I should look out for when buying a used Camaro with about 80K miles. Hopefully with your help I can be a part-time Chevy guy by this summer.
A Body Mopar Forum - Home of Vintage Mopars!