General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

95 mph in a 45 mph zone

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: 95 mph in a 45 mph zone

sure it is. the only way to tell it apart from the other GPs is the silver badge on the side. its not like you can pick it out in traffic like you can a camaro or vette or stang, etc

Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

See, it helps to have grey hair and look harmless. I'm 56 years old, 5 ft 9 at a stretch, and 20 lbs overweight. I got pulled over for doing 51 in and 35 in my vette (and I was, at least) - while the car had my custom license plate frame that says "LeMans C5R 427 c.i.d./Supercharged 640 HP" (since removed). The cop did a double take when he looked at me, called me, "Sir," and said "I thought I was after one of those young idiots."

I was polite and told him "Officer, I drive fast cars, but I don't drive fast." I insisted there must be a mistake.

Truly, at this point he muttered something about, "It must have been the Acura", and let me off.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Droid

Reading these posts brought to mind some of the insane stuff me and my friends used to do.

This is going back to the late 50's & early 60's. In those days license points hadn't been invented yet, and as long as you saw the judge and paid the fines you kept your license. Anyway, me and a buddy both owned 58 Impalas with 348 engines and when the 409 came out we both bought a new 409 from the local dealer and installed it in our cars. If you ever driven a 58 Chevy, you probaly noticed that the rear of the car danced around a lot. This was Chevy's first try at coil springs, and they left the panhard rod out allowing the rear of the body to move side to side over the rear axle. Very interesting at high speed.

On this particular night we decided to take a ride to the newly built Bob Moses Causeway & see if one car was better then the other. After about an hour of driving the cars flat out with the speedometer pegged, we pulled in a local diner to discuss the event. About 10 minutes later a cop shows up asking for the owners of the cars. Our friendly and not too swift waitress, pointed us out to the cop. He was pissed to no end, and said he was trying to catch up to us for the last 1/2 hour, and now we were going to pay for it. Eventually he calmed down and gave us tickets for holding a speed contest without a permit. A violation that was not part of the traffic code.

About a month later we go see the judge. He asked us why we did what we did, and we both fessed up and told him we were trying to find out which car was fastest. He scratched his chin for a while, and then stated that since we were honest about it, and had the "good sense?" to race in the middle of the night, he was going to let us go with a $30 fine. However, if we caused trouble again, he was going to tear up our license and force us to get a new one. In those days you could always go for the test and get a new license.

By the way, the speed limit on the causeway was 50 MPH and we were close to tripling it. The causeway was two lanes, one each way, with no place to go but in the water, but we figured it was OK to ride side by side, since no one was about to go or come from the beach at that time of night in winter.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear member

my real close buddies dad, had a what i think what a 65 corvette. could of been a 67 not sure. anyways, this car had the 427, completly built pushin 600hp. i have a huge list of stories he has told me cant remember any good ones at the moment, but when i see him, i will ask.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Tech Droid

Yeah, in those days you were allowed to have a good time, if you didn't mind killing yourself. LOL

Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Yeah, in those days you were allowed to have a good time, if you didn't mind killing yourself. LOL
Was this on the Courtney Campbell in Tampa?

Old 02-22-2006, 02:17 PM

The valentine one is supposedly the best on the market and ive heard that if you get a speeding ticket they pay it for you. Also there is a jammer out there that is for BMW's, it sends back to the gun 180 or some number like that and when you have your court date BMW sends a spokes person with you and claims that the car cant go that fast, so there had to be something wrong with the gun. Just thought you guys/girls might like to know.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 AM

this 1's hard to believe....i was goin back to dover de. from wv and i was goin thru md and the road i always took back to de was closed cause of constructionso im goin up the road little ways and next thing i know im in the upper part of de....well needless to say i find a road that i know takes me back to dover and its bout 3am and no cars are out so i wanted to see what my car had since i just got the day before,im doin bout 140-145mph and i see rough road ahead so i slow down and right as im startin to accelerate i look over to my left and see myself passin a white stripe in the median....looked in my rearview and saw him hit the lights ....so i calmly pulled over and waited for him,since his motorola can go faster than my car could,the cop was bout 25-26 yrs old and asked me why i was goin so fast i explained to him and he told me what he had clocked me atit was 135 in a 65 i thought he was just gonna take me to jail that night but he cut me a helluva break gave me 74 in a 65

Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 PM

i got busted doing 80 in a 30 in may 01 galant i was going to try telling the truth but when the cop got to my car and said whats your problem speed racer i knew i was getting a ticket. all in all i cost me $350 but i did let the cop know that one of his lights were out

Old 03-31-2006, 01:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: EASYcompany7

lol nice one, i got a ticket a while ago for "fleeing from police" and "street racing". I was flying down I75..again and some punk in a magnum tried to catch up with me and WOT'ed it when the lights flashed i tried to slow down but the brakes "glazed over" which means either the metal got to hot or the brake fluid boilded but i made it a couple more miles down the highway before i could pull over and the cop was *****ing his head off. But lucky you, and thats why you dont skip church
in ga they take you to JAIL 100 in a 65 .. I went .. car went EVERYBODY went..LOL about 550 cash and 2 YEARS probation

p.s. once you pay then they take you off probation??? all about the MONEY

Quick Reply: 95 mph in a 45 mph zone