Whats the worst working condition youve had to endure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

I like this thread lol. Just got back from working out and this is a lot better than what was going on before I left. I was gonna say Gorn had it pretty bad....til I read SprSSBalt's situation.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SprSSBalt
It really was nasty. But I did come prepared and had a rain suit handy in my service truck so after all the rollin' around, I just chucked the suit in their stall, power washed and sprayed them till I didn't see brown again.

But remember, those guys work there ever day. So I can't complain for going out to service them ONCE....
Just remember most guys who work with sewage have their hepatitis shots... I had to sample the main outfall for several of the main sewage plants in our area I put on full tyvek, gloves mask real cautious about anything biological. Ive been in alot of ugly areas but the one that took the most control was a deep coal mine sampling I had to crawl back through a tunnel of coal waste(tailings) to obtain a water sample for a court case. the hole was about300' long, 3' by 5' in size, pitch black, 450' underground, water dripping, damp, cool ... that was 20 years ago freaked me out it was all i could do but not to panic.

Last edited by GRIFF; 08-12-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for sharing your success story. very inspirational. (lesson: we have to do good at our jobs). Congratulations!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

i did a roof on a 5 story hotel in -30* weather, that blew

Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM

I worked at a Beef Plant in the Rendering Department (google it).

The rendering department is what burns and destroys the parts of the animal that are not used, and guts the intestines for the manure. There were also tanks that caught the blood from the kill floor drains.

These tanks would frequently plug up at the bottom drain where the pump sends it to the boiler to make meal. There were valves you would open up and stick your arm in to free up the debri, and when it was freed, the blood would drown you.

The conveyor belts carrying the skulls, intestines, and other organs would frequently jam up but the plant refused to stop the kill floor. We would end up with 10,000lb piles of guts to pick up by hand and feed onto the conveyor once they were working. Mind you, we had to lay in the guts to fix the conveyors.

The floor was typically 6-12 inches deep with manure, water, and blood. It was about 125 degrees with practically 100% humidity from the steam off the hot water used to spray things down.

I would go into deeper details, but you guys really dont want me to describe the smell of all of this mixed together, or the smell of it all burning in the furnace. Trust me, it gets worse.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

laying under a semi in -60 degree weather with windchill at 2 am changing out frozen fuel filters with fuel running down my sleeve into my armpit near wisconsin dells!!!
stupid alabama truck driver !!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

^^

X2!

Only instead of -60 degree weather, it was complete opposite. Had to help my buddy one time change his Semi's in the Arizona desert.... Does blow.

But this thread did come a long way

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear member

working in cold a-word winter weather in a 40'x60' pole barn garage with no heat and walls consisting of only thin steel ..my friends garage.. HOW TERRIBLE EH? at least he has a 2 post and every snap-on tool you could imagine.. lol the project was a 69 Econoline... with a 460 big block and C6 trans.. we mounted the engine in the middle of the mother effer... but its not running yet

Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Name:  old_thread.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  old-thread-batman.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  12.1 KB

Name:  YPIAOT.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  10.4 KB

Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear member

So lol

Quick Reply: Whats the worst working condition youve had to endure?