Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-89/)
-   -   Whats the worst working condition youve had to endure? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-89/whats-worst-working-condition-youve-had-endure-54075/)

xXChipXx 08-07-2010 12:47 AM

Whats the worst working condition youve had to endure?

I do all my work with hand tools and jack stands in my Apartment complex parking lot. I live at a dead end so I have a little privacy.

craby 08-07-2010 01:31 AM

well we have fished in 60 mph winds with sideways rain. thats in a 34ft crabber. or i have changed a trany in a gravel driveway in the rain with the car on blocks of wood. in them days we used bumper jacks to lift the car and a ratchet set was a luxury. lol.

xXChipXx 08-07-2010 01:49 AM

The first night I had my car on jack stands Someone got into and stole my rachet set with all my tranny and mount bolts. Luckily we had left the actual sockets we needed out of the case so we had barely what we needed.

Gorn 08-07-2010 07:42 PM

My first real transmission repair as a pro was a 84 caprice classic. It hit a deer on Friday and it would not go into gear. Monday morning after a record hot weeked it gets pushed into my bay. The meat a fur was still hanging on the underside of the car. I dry heaved 3 times before I final lost my breakfast. It just needed some linkage replace, I had to pull the pan to do. It took about 45 minutes cause I had to keep coming out for air.

After I was done the service manager sent it to the prep depatment to have the underneath pressure washed. He said after he saw me throwing up he did not want to give a car like that back to the customer that way. I wanted to smash him into a stain on the floor. He said next time we will clean it first. After 7 years there was never a next time.

osduck5 08-07-2010 09:02 PM

Changing run flats on a Hummer in temps of 120 plus.

cplthomas 08-11-2010 11:29 AM

I have worked in as cold as -70 degrees and as hot as 140 degrees.

SloBalt 08-11-2010 03:02 PM

I used to work for a car shop that also did on road service call to many accounts around the area.

The worst one and only time that I did a road call of this nature was to the Sanitary district in the middle of the purification ditch on a cold rainy day. My bottle jack would sink every time that I tried to lift the tractor and I had to lay on the 'floor' to place the bottle jack underneath to begin with. So literally I was swimming in poop.

osduck5 08-11-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SprSSBalt (Post 446435)
I used to work for a car shop that also did on road service call to many accounts around the area.

The worst one and only time that I did a road call of this nature was to the Sanitary district in the middle of the purification ditch on a cold rainy day. My bottle jack would sink every time that I tried to lift the tractor and I had to lay on the 'floor' to place the bottle jack underneath to begin with. So literally I was swimming in poop.

Dang! You win!! LOL. That just sounds nasty!

SloBalt 08-11-2010 06:09 PM

It really was nasty. But I did come prepared and had a rain suit handy in my service truck so after all the rollin' around, I just chucked the suit in their stall, power washed and sprayed them till I didn't see brown again.

But remember, those guys work there ever day. So I can't complain for going out to service them ONCE.... :D

Saint Ebony 08-11-2010 06:47 PM

Worst I've ever had to deal with was outside 4 hours in -39C. Or, if you prefer, the week before we had a day with -20C and 12" of snow. That day, I was outside about 5 hours, and one of my boots busted a seam in the first hour.

Another day to note was my first day as a letter carrier- it was the day after Thanksgiving 2008, so there was a boatload of mail to sort first; I didn't get out the door until 3 pm and delivered until 6:30, having only gotten about halfway, then the bosses let me go early so I could vote, as it also happened to be election night. Then, instead of voting, I went to my other job, which I was an hour and a half late for. All told I worked from 7 am to 11 pm, almost non-stop.

And then I did it again the next day, except I was actually able to deliver all the mail then. I am very glad I am good enough at my jobs now that I don't have to work 16 hours a day anymore.