Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Valve cover breather spewing oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Valve cover breather spewing oil

Hey guys. So right now I have no pcv valve, just two breathers. I know this isn't good for a street motor but I just wanted to drive it and I had those lying around to plug up the holes. I know i know probably not so smart. well after 500 miles I noticed theres oil spewing out of the passanger side. The drivers side seems to be fine. I want to put a pcv valve on but I'm afraid that oil is still gunna come through and down into the carb through the vacuum line! I have baffled valve covers. Does my motor have so much blow by that it's pushing the oil out the breather indicating engine internal failure, or is this excess oil going to stay out of my pcv valve when I put it on?

Oh and btw this is a pre 87 block carbureted if you hadn't guessed. It's practically a stock 69 z28 motor, 30 over, only has Those 500 miles on it and everything in it is new. I don't think I gave it a propper break in period before I started to hammer it a little. I really hope that's not the problem! Please help me out! Thanks a ton!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
4th Gear Member

It would not be a bad idea to find a road lightly used and go through the break-in procedure - 4th gear if man, or 3rd gr if OD auto, WOT to 60-65, coast to 20, WOT to 60-65, repeat about 10-12 times.

My last '68 having a 350CID, ET bracket only, I just ran a Saturday afternoon of time trials and Sat night elims, and engine has not used one drop of oil, still to this day with its next owner.

Old school trick was wrapping a shop towel around the vent catching the oil mist.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a compression test on all cylinders. see if you have a weak one. it may be one or two pistion rings are not sealing/breaking in or could be broken.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's more work on the engine for it to push the crankcase pressure and (oily) fumes out, than it is for it to get "vacuumed" out through the PCV. What do you consider "spewing"? Is it spraying out as the engine is running, or is it a small accumulation that's just slowly bleeding out of the breather? Depending on the degree of the spewing, adding the PCV alone might take care of your oil problem.
"I don't think I gave it a propper break in period before I started to hammer it a little". How did you break it in then, hopefully not in the garage. The early running of the engine is the most critical, way less than the 500 miles you have on it now. And hitting the engine slightly hard (not beating on it) while breaking it in isn't going to hurt it. Actually, it's engine load that causes the combustion gases which pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls. Rings don't seal by simple spring pressure. If you gave the engine too easy of a break-in, the cylinder walls could already be glazed, and a (too late) second attempt at a proper break-in isn't likely to reverse that.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well as to the amount of oil coming out I have two cheapy breathers that basically look like its just a cap with some spongy foam inside. It looks like this foam is completely saturated and there is a light spray of oil on the bottom of my hood and firewall. It's almost like dust but it sticks just a little bit more which is to be expected. And as far as what I did within the first 100 miles it probably wasn't a great break in. I started it a lot in the garage. All together it probably ran for about an hour. The first time I took it out I had really skinny tires on so I punched it and lite the tires a few times.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If my rings dug into the walls would I feel a slight loss of power?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your rings aren't "digging into" the cylinder walls. When your engine is freshly built, the walls are more coarse than once it's broken in. And the rings have nice new sharp edges. Those two components is what creates the right condition for the rings to seat to the walls, provided you give it the chance to. The first step of break-in (with flat tappet lifters) is the 20 minute, 2,000 rpm minimum run in. Then change the oil, as that 20 minutes of running is going to give you a good portion of your initial break-in debris (ring & cylinder wall scrapings) and assembly crud. Then, as tempting as it is, do not start the engine again until you are ready to take the car out on the road to break it in. Put the PCV in, see what happens, and go from there.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright thanks for the help