Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

twin turbo's for a 305?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007 | 02:10 PM
|
Default twin turbo's for a 305?

is it possible to put in twin turbo's into a 305 or is that just a bunch of crap? if it is possible what would i need in order to put twin turbo's in it?

Old 12-13-2007 | 09:22 PM
Default RE: twin turbo's for a 305?

I don't see why it couldn't be done. I don't know alot about turbos though. I've thought about that though because I'd like to keep my 305.

Old 12-13-2007 | 09:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: twin turbo's for a 305?

It's very possible. Gale Banks makes a kit for SBCs and so do several people on eBay. There are also a few set-ups for remote mount (rear mount) turbos which usually don't need an intercooler because the air is cooled as it goes from the back of the vehicle to the front. To do it you need turbo manifolds (unless it's a remote mount), turbos, blowoff valves, wastegates, sometimes an intercooler, piping, turbo back exhaust and air filters. Also consider what you're doing for fuel. It's usually a lot easier to set up a turbocharger with fuel injection then it is with a carbureter (though it is possible, but I'm not familiar with turbocharging carbureted engines). If you're doing injection then you'll need to some things to your fuel system as well (rails, injectors, etc.). You will also want to drop the compression down to around 8:1 or so. You may want to do some head work too. Some companies (such as TrickFlow) have some heads that are built especially for low compression engines (for turbochargers, superchargers, etc.). If you've got enough money you can do just about anything. If you have a good sized budget I'd suggest going with the Banks kit. I've read what a lot of people have to say about it and it sounds really good (he's also been working with turbochargers longer than most people have been alive). I think his kit goes for something like five grand but you can get some other kits on eBay for as low as two thousand. You will also want to make sure that the oil going into the turbos doesn't cook. You can do this by letting the vehicle idle for a few minutes before you go somewhere and after you get back from somewhere. Or there is an electronic controller (can't think of what it's called right now) that runs oil through the turbo(s) to keep it from overheating and cracking or cooking oil. Of course you want to make sure that your head bolts and gaskets are strong enough for the amount of boost you're running. I can't think of anything else right now. I hope none of this scares you away. Twin turbo small blocks are really sweet and I hope you do this. I'm probably forgetting something but that should be the majority of what you need to know.