Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Tranny stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay. I thought I was literally looking for something. haha

And once it does start making that noise again, I'll be sure to let you know where it's truly coming from!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hee, hee! You gotta look with your ears. See what I'm saying?
After you hear where the noise is coming from, then go lking for it (with the engine off).

Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear member

I hear ya!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 PM

its been almost 10 years since my camaro last ran but if the shield on your cat starts to break off you will hear a rattling sound till it breaks off. just throwing an idea at a mystery sound u would hear more when sitting still.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Update!

Okay, I think you guys are right about it being the TC. I never really doubted it, but now there's even more evidence! I've noticed a 'shuddering' around 45ish when I'm just cruising, when the TC is locking up. It fixes itself if I let off, and get back on it, because the TC isn't locked anymore!

Any new opinions?

I know it's a crappy description, but it was something I noticed and had to tell you guys before leaving. I'll look back later, but I gotta go!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 PM

how recent did you put your motor in the car? if you dont get the TC all the way back onto the tranny it will burn out your front pump.. just a thought.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear member

It's the 151000 mile motor that came with it from the factory. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about a new engine.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Update

Alright, I went to practice today and just as I got into the parking lot I started to get this same noise again. I was able to get into a spot real quick, and it was still going on. So I put it in park, and it did NOT stop making the noise! This surprised me, so I put it back in drive, and it continued. I put it in park so I could get out and listen for it, and it kept making the noise until I opened the door and it stopped (of course! >.<).

I had the windows down, and as I opened the door it became extremely difficult to tell where the noise was coming from. I can say for certain it's not the rear, but I couldn't tell you if it was the front or middle.

So let's play pretend. Assuming I have no idea where the noise is coming from, what would you suggest I look for with an intermittent scraping/scratching noise, that has happened in a range of rpms from about 700-2000 rpms, in both drive and park, and doesn't seem to coincide with any sort of obvious performance loss?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) Power steering pump (sawing noise, more pronounced when you turn)?
2) A/C clutch going bad (scraping, squeaking noise)?
3) Serpentine belt squealing?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear member

In order :
1.) I don't think so, since I can turn it all the way in either direction without any issues, and it doesn't change pitch/volume when it's turned. Although 'sawing noise' might be more accurate, actually.
2.) Would it happen more/less ften with the A/C on/off?
3.) I dunno. Wouldn't it be constant though? I'm not sure...

Quick Reply: Tranny stuff...