Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Tranny stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Tranny stuff...

When it rains, it pours...

Yesterday I started to get a scraping noise (best I can describe it) coming from the rear of the car (or so I thought). I figured it was my rear going out, until today when I was in a parking spot and it did it again. I was in drive, but not moving. Since I wasn't moving, the tranny is the only part of the driveline that's moving, so it's probably the actual cause of the problem. So right now I'm already assuming the worst and looking for a rebuild kit. I've found a couple places, but I'd like your guys' opinions on reputable transmission rebuild/upgrade/etc. parts/companies.

EDIT: The main issue is the whole 700r4 (Which I have) vs. 4L60E thing. It's easy to find stuff for the 4L60E, especially rebuild kits, but not for the 700r4. Yes, they're essentially the same, but for some reason there are enough differences to necessitate differing kits.

I'm gonna check my transmission fluid tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Last edited by robmnrd; 02-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Ninja Administrator

sometimes I click on threads just because the title makes me wanna say something smartassed
this is one of em.

but if u werent moving than the tranny components were also still. the torque converter is the only thing that would be moving, and it would have been going slow enough to not put any pressure on tranny parts. the tranny itself is solid, so if anything in there moves, the car moves.

im not up to speed on all the parts in there, but I would start looking at the torque converter and parts nearby

Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"Tranny Stuff" makes you wanna be smartassed? I thought your response was more deductive reasoning.
At low idle, the torque converter is "free wheeling" for lack of a better term. It isn't spinning any trans internals until it reaches it's stall speed, so at idle your transmissions innards (technical term) is standing still. Look at your converter as Spec suggested. You could have loose converter to flexplate mounting bolts, or the inspection cover on the trans could have gotten dinged and is kissing the flexplate, or your starter could have loosened, or...
Best thing to do is have someone else, one you can trust, sit inside the car with it in gear as you look around under the car. Notice I said look, and not get under the car.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

because i restrained myself lol. tranny is not a word specific to the car world. think about all the responses a title like "tranny stuff" may generate.

one question which I hope will help the OP. can you remove the TC without dropping the tranny? I know u cant do clutches, but for some reason i was thinking the TC can come out leaving the transexual on its mounts

Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"tranny is not a word specific to the car world"... Since when? Maybe not your world!!!
Anyway, the TRANNY has to come out in order to get the torque converter out. The converter slips onto the input shaft of the TRANNY and is sandwiched between it and the engine/flexplate.
Actually, you don't really have to drop the tranny to remove the converter, you can yank the engine instead!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Ninja Administrator

on please, like u didnt chuckle at all when u read "tranny stuff"

Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

On please, I really didn't. I growed up using the word "tranny" in the car world. It's an older term, and of course, that was b-4 all the young whipper-snappers had other meanings for it.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Torque converter. Got it.

And what exactly will I be looking, not getting under, for? Should something stand out as...not right?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Mkay.

We got a fair amount of snow since I last posted, so I haven't been able to crawl around unde - I mean look under the car. :P

But I did check the transmission fluid, and it's full/clean. There isn't even a little dirt in it. I haven't heard that noise since I posted, either. Do you guys have any idea what it might be? The intermittent-ness of it is driving me crazy! >.<

Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

My thought was for you to try and listen under the car to hear where the scraping noise was coming from. It's harder to do that from inside the car. Intermittent noises are even more fun. At first you thought the noise was coming from the rear of the car, and then you suspect the TRANNY. You already moved half way to the front of the car. Any chance it's from the engine and resonating back? You need to put an ear to it, when it's making noise.

Quick Reply: Tranny stuff...