Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Rebuild 350 Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Default Rebuild 350 Worth it?

I bought a 4 bolt main older 350 that needs to be 100% redone. It needs new heads and so on. I have bought the pistons and rings so far and thats it. My questions is do you think its better for the money to get it rebuilt the way I want it to be or to buy a new already put together engine?? I guess I am just wondering what some of your guys have done as far as rebuilding your 350s and how much the shops charged you to do all the work with boreing and such and putting everything together?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Rebuild 350 Worth it?

sometimes depending on the condition of your block. there may be a chance your bore size might not be as planned. might have to have a larger bore than expected. i like to wait until i get my block back before i purchase my pistons. i do know a shop that charges 12 bucks a hole for boring.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

12 bucks a hole is the going rate here too. On an unknown block it would be a good idea to check for cracks and check all surfaces (heads & block deck), you may need to surface them. While it's in the machine shop get the main journals checked too, may need to line bore. As far as a crate engine, not me. I like the satisfaction of cranking them up the first time and knowing I built it. Always on open headers, keeps the neighbors on their toes!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

The build or buy decision is a tough one. Mass production rebuilding is usually cheaper, but you don't know for sure what has been done and what parts have been used. I've always done my own work and I usually recommend that folkswanting performance engines either buy them from a shop that builds performance motors or have the engine done at a shop that understands performance engine building.

Engines are expensive and costs can get out of hand real quick. Above all decide in advance what you want the engine to do and read.There are many good books and online sources that do a good job of explaining the process and the qwirks for individual engines. Be honest and evaluate yourself on what youreally can and cannot do.Many shops will sell you on doing way more than you need to do for the engines intended use.

Don't be afraid to get a second (or third) opinion. Learn and make informed decisions based on what you want the motor to be able to do.

Sounds like you have a good start with a 4-bolt block.

I think that having it built the way you want it is better all around.

G

Failure is a victory for knowledge. Stupidity is not learning from failure.