Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default PLEASE HELP!!!

i have posted this subject for the third time but i still have no reply. ok, so i was racing a evo today on the freeway when i needed to switch to 5th. but thats the problem. since i bought the car, 5th and 6th dont work and i need to fix it soon. i need to know an estimate about how much it might cost and what the problem might be. THANKS!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!

It would seem that it would be the 5th and 6th gear syncros inside the transmission, but it is wierd that those gears would go bad and 1st through 4th would be normal (I am assuming Reverse works too). However, if all of the other gears are working properly I can't imagine that it is anything but the syncros....if this is the case the transmission will of course have to be pulled, then rebuilt, and re-installed. Also the clutch and throwout bearing should be done at the same time; as well as the flywheel should be replaced or at least resurfaced. As far as a dollar amountgoes, that all depends on who you have do all the work...

Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

yea, its really weird. all gears work but 5th and 6th. thanks for the reply so would it be worth just getting a used or new trans?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

In my experiance it is about the same to get a new/used one than to repair the problem. You could always have them upgrade it while in the shop, that would be worth it.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

but were can i buy a 6 speed trans for the camaro? i dont trust ebay.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

hey, i did some research and found this website. could i buy it here or is it not legit?
http://www.drivetrain.com/transmanualT56.html

Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear member

why wouldnt it be legal?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

oh, i mean legit as in safe. i dont want to spend$2500 and get a peace of crap.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Maybe you only have a four speed with a six speed shifter ball? lol.get some numbers off your trans and get a rebuild kit there not that tough to rebuild.And it will save you loads of cash.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

i agree with big jim, get a rebuild kit for it, you may not need to use it becuase the synchros in the tranmission are extremley easy to rebuild, there is really nothing to them, the only problem is taking the tranny apart to get to them, its not to hard, its all bolts, and then you need a big bearing puller, because there is one bearing in the tailshaft of the tranny that you would have to take off and then the rest should just be bolts, its extremley easy, get yourself a rebuild kit and go to like a local auto parts store or something and see if they carry the synchros in stock, you should be able to find them somewhere, and ask them if they can show you how to rebuild it, theres really nothin to them, i bet that is the problem, one of the keys inside it could of broke and the alignment spring inside it could be out of place, which would cause the synchro sleeve to slide over and bind the gear enough to the point that you would be able to get into the gears that that synchro operates with, good luck man. let me know how it goes.