Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

I was told to try here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010 | 11:11 PM
|

paha ok thanks. hopefully its nothing major.

Old 02-20-2010 | 03:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by LiMariee
Red fluid is leaking out of my car, onto my garage floor. Also, the boyfriend says that the "rack and pinions" are wet from something leaking on them (he won't touch the engine, he has a miata and doesn't like domestics). When i turn on my car, and its in park, no noise besides the normal engine, when i turn the wheel, i hear a loud whine, and when i put it in drive and the car moves, i hear the whine constantly but even more so when i turn the wheel. i was told my power steering fluid could be low, on top of needing a new belt, what belt they are talking about, idk. i've never owned a domestic car, and i'm female. i know honda civics like the back of my hand, but i am totally lost when it comes to a camaro. i've had this car for 3 days, and i would really like some help so i don't lose faith in this car...help please?
the power steering fluid is most definitely leaking and the noise you hear when you turn the wheel is the power steering pump running dry and destroying itself, you need to fix the leak and buy a new power steering pump.

Old 03-15-2010 | 09:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mitchell
the power steering fluid is most definitely leaking and the noise you hear when you turn the wheel is the power steering pump running dry and destroying itself, you need to fix the leak and buy a new power steering pump.
Whoa, no need to be going and buying a new power steering pump just yet. Could just be cracked, crinked or damaged hoses or just a loose hose. Diagnose the leak 100% and go from there. My leak was just a bent/cracked aluminum line. New hose fixed that.

Old 03-17-2010 | 02:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by kyphur
Whoa, no need to be going and buying a new power steering pump just yet. Could just be cracked, crinked or damaged hoses or just a loose hose. Diagnose the leak 100% and go from there. My leak was just a bent/cracked aluminum line. New hose fixed that.
the reason i suggested replacing the pump is cuz if it has run dry for a little while and whining really bad it probably needs to be, but then again i've had 'em whine and still be ok after putting more fluid in.