Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

I was told to try here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:30 PM
|
Unhappy I was told to try here...

Red fluid is leaking out of my car, onto my garage floor. Also, the boyfriend says that the "rack and pinions" are wet from something leaking on them (he won't touch the engine, he has a miata and doesn't like domestics). When i turn on my car, and its in park, no noise besides the normal engine, when i turn the wheel, i hear a loud whine, and when i put it in drive and the car moves, i hear the whine constantly but even more so when i turn the wheel. i was told my power steering fluid could be low, on top of needing a new belt, what belt they are talking about, idk. i've never owned a domestic car, and i'm female. i know honda civics like the back of my hand, but i am totally lost when it comes to a camaro. i've had this car for 3 days, and i would really like some help so i don't lose faith in this car...help please?

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:35 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

What year car? do you know the engine size? V8 or 6

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:37 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a power steering hose leaking and you are low on fluid.
Shouldn't be a big deal to fix,get'r done before you ruin the power steering pump from being low or out of fluid.
The belt drives the pump off the crank pulley,later cars have a single serpentine belt that drives the pump and alternator and maybe the waterpump depending on what year model car you have.
Older cars may have two or three v-belts depending on how many accessories are driven.
It would help if you tell us what year and model car you have.

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:40 PM
Banned
From: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

First thing I think of is a hose leak on power steering pump perhaps. That's where I would start.

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:40 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Oh and tell the BF a Miata is a girly man's car,real men drive Chevys.

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:45 PM
|

teehee he gets that all the time but he drifts in it. as a matter of fact, import faceoff this weekend in donaldsonville, la....i'm going to be obnoxious and bring the camaro just because i can!!! and oh yea, the camaro was made late in 96 but its considered a 97, on the title it says 96....and its a V6

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:46 PM
|

and thomas...i LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote that idiot ticked me off really bad.

Old 02-19-2010 | 10:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u need to look and see were the oil is coming from. finding the source is half the battle. if there is no oil on the upper part of the front of the motor or getting on the belt.
if the oil is only on the rack (the rack is under the front, its a cylinder with steering arms coming out of it) then it could be leaking or one of the feed lines could have a lose connection or a crack in them.
if the oil is coming from further up on the motor then i would suspect a hose, the fluid reservoir or the pump itself.
dont need to fear a real car. care for it and it will return the favor.

Last edited by craby; 02-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2010 | 11:03 PM
|

no its not a contest and i was just having trouble with the steering but i'm going to try to fix it with the info and help i got on here, thanks guys

Old 02-19-2010 | 11:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah im a slow typer so i noticed u did let us know what it was and edited it out as soon as i seen it. i lost good luck.

Quick Reply: I was told to try here...