Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

How to prime LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How to prime LT1

I just rebuilt my LT1 and know that I really should prime the engine with oil before firing it up. Unfortunately I cannot just use a drill to turn the pump. I have heard some things about a pressurized oil canister, but I cannot find anything on it. How have you guys primed your engines? Thank you for the help.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so u have the motor in the car? if so u could try one of the L shaped drill attachments.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is not in the car, but with the distributor that is on the LT1's I did not think you could prime it like other cars.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes u can. u will need to have the intake manifold off. there is the same setup for a distibutor under the intake except instead of a distributor shaft driving the oil pump there is a oil pump drive gear. has one bolt holding it in and is made of plastic. ive replaced the housing on mine with a aluminum one i found. here
https://securehost98.hrwebservices.n...&productId=317
had to switch my guts into it.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would really rather not have to pull the intake manifold back off....I just got it back on. haha. I was really hoping to find an oil pressurizer can. But its looking like the intake manifold will have to come off.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u could always send it in to be ported here http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html while your doin the rest. ill be puting a ported intake on the motor for my 93 and will have a edelbrock air gap for sale in about a month. ported stock intake is better.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just spin it over with the fuel pump relay or distributor harness off. As long as you used plenty of assembly lube, it won't hurt it.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear member

with mine i didnt prime it but granted its an older 305 so i could but i dumped oil in both valve covers and every oil return and though the dizzy hole in intake to get it on the cam gear. and let it run though the oil valley ontop. granted its not pressurized but when i spun it over from siting with no oil in it while i worked i knew everything was at least coated.

vs dumping it all in one side of the engine and letting it all run to the pan when i refilled it. also spun it over in short increments then just spun it over till the oil pressure light went out then reconnected it and fired it over