Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

carburator vs fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Doc
Default RE: carburator vs fuel injection

Uncle Bill....think again......

Carbs that are tuned properly will nto use any more fuel than a properly tuned injection setup.

Carbs do not accelerate wear and tear because of cylinder washing.

Carbs are not difficult to tune.

Sequential fire gains nothing unless you are turning 8K+ rpms. Batch fire works just as well.

Without sequential fire,a nd an O2 sensor for each cylinder within the first 8 inches of the exhaust port you will never get the tune absolutely correct on each cylinder, and after a given point in time the injectors are pretty much static anyway (under 5Krpms), meaning that they are firing more often and longer than they are off.

I like both. I can run both. I use both. If the car is going to be done on the cheap I will carb it, and spend a few runs at the dyno house. if the cost is not an object, and I have limited hood space, I will run an injection setup.....there is the big advantage of an injected setup.....hood clearance. You can design your own injection intake if you like math and are willing to read a bunch. You can design a setup that will fit under the hood of almost anything if you think olutside the box a bit.

Carbs are fine. I can get within 5hp of any injected setup (I HATE holley carbs.....makes good doorstops though), with a carter, or edelbrock, holley, demon, BG....you name it. I can mod my fuel curves the old fashioned way with jet changes instead of a computer. I never lose my settings, and my personal brain will not quit till I am getting put in a box.

Look, lets face it. Carbs were supposed to be on the way out a long time ago. Something like 25 years ago everyone was screaming....oh no, carbs are dead....when EFI first hit the scene and became more than commonplace. Now look around. I still see carbs on the market, and I still see top race teams using them.....I wonder why.....

Both work, both work well, I can get even HP numbers out of either one. They both have a purpose, and both serve the purpose well. There is no right or wrong here, or good and bad. if I have alimited budget and have a set figure for power that I want I will use a carb. If I have a bigger budget and want it to fit under the hood of my riding lawnmower (yes I am considering EFI for my lawn mower), then I will do EFI. Both work and work well....

Old school everything has been around for a long time....it worked then and it still works....very well I might add.

Want it proven? Send me an engine block and set the budget.

Doc

Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just wondering why you hate Holley carbs what carb do you prefer and why? Looking to buy one for a 406 drag car what method do you use for sizing, when I put my data in Holleys web site they reccommend a 800+- vac secondary carb.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

those who can't do for themselves allow computers to do for them ... the rest of us run carbs. bet that statement curls some hair LMAO ... Sick

Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I definitly perfer a carburetor over fuel injection because they are much easier to tune and to modify, and much more cost efficent. If you ask me they run better than fuel injection because i like so many people out there dont care to learn about a new fuel dilivery system because we perfer to run the simplicity and nice performance of a carburetor . So overall a carburetored engine is a perfect daily driver overall and can't be bad because lots of people use them like they have been for the past 100 years.

Did you ever notice how much more neat it is to hear the secondarys kick in than to just hear the engine rev in a fuel injected car?!!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Doc

I grew up working on Rochesters. I am not especially fond of them either, but they are easier to deal with than a Holley. I have a personal preference toward Carter AFB's. I find them resembling all the things I love about Roch's, without all of the restrictions that make a Roch so crappy to deal with. Apparently Edelbrock felt the same way....the edelbrock carbs are simply repackaged Carters.

I had a link I posted on the very subject of carb sizing. I think I posted it here. Look for posts under my name, and give me a chance to hunt it up.

there was also a very good article on carb comaprison. They took a 383 engine, and put 4150 series mechanical secondary carbs on it ranging in size from 390cfm up to 1000cfm, and even the little 390 didn't hurt the performance of the engine for more than a few HP. You coudl do a 750 for that engine and be fine, and I have a carter AFB sitting new in the box in my garage. bring it over....I will happily teach you the love of Carters....

Look in this post for the info... https://camaroforums.com/m_28049/mpa..._/tm.htm#31173

Doc

Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would have to agree that they're both good Fuel injection and carburated both work great for racing or daily driving fuel injecters use computers to tune as well as carburaters are just tuned old school Nick

Old 10-12-2006, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

DOC,
I love carbs, I grew up on carbs, I've made 1,000 + Horsepower with carbs, Oh and that was with 1 Holley Carb. But Fuel Injection has it's advantages. I don't know how many engines You have built or worked on. I get behind an older pickup truck at a stoplight and all I can smell is gasoline. Yes Carbs do have a problem with fuel wash. Any fuel system can have a fuel wash problem. Carbs just do it a lot more often. Not everybody is as capable as You are when it comes to carb tuning. 99 % of Them run them too rich because Somebody told Them to run such and such a jet size. Taking the every day guy in mind, a fuel injection system is more efficient. Don't think I'm trying to bash You, that's not the intent of this or any Forum. I'm just giving My opinion and You're giving Yours. I think all of Us are entitled to Our own opinion. About The Holley / Rochester thing. Most anyone can work on a Holley, that's why They're so popular. A Rochester can run as well as any carb out there but it takes an expert to tune them. I think You and I are saying basically the same thing.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Doc

I love the smell of gas in the exhaust....hahahahahaha.

I have foudn the same responses you have in regards to that too. Someone who knows someone who knows how to pull his finger and not shart told me to run this jet size. Doofus didn't tell them that his friend was someone in middle school.....reading car craft, and eating cheetos naked while listening to the latest robbing preacher on tv.

I learned to tune by smell....smell of the exhaust, but at the time dynos were not available anywhere near where I grew up. Of course, it didn't help that the guy teaching me was teaching with an old Pontiac Straight 8. Wonderful old car, but no thte most modern thing on the planet......hahahahha.

I think we are Uncle. Except that the only time I had issues with fuel wash was with engines turning more RPM's than I could account for, and nitrous. I am not a big fan of the bottle, and yes I know it works. If and when I am tuning anything with a bottle hooked up I will almost always overcompensate beyond reason (not much beyond reason, but I am not reasonable to start with) when it comes to the fuel enrichment I run with NOS.

I have built more engines than I care to count. About to be building a few more.

I need a 350 or 400 engine (complete bottom end anyway). Anybody got anything out there for me? The wrecking yards around here crush as fast as it hits the yard, and the engines all go to Grooms or other rebuilders immediately.

Doc