Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Bought a 69, What motor is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Default Bought a 69, What motor is it?

I bought a 1969 GM car (i got out of hondas) to drag race from a young man for 24K. He said there was a lot of goodies and there is. it is back halfed with a 10 point cage. nice purple paint with his old sponsers stickers on it, nice intirior with nice tin work... to much to say. what i realy like is the motor. he set it up himself with front and midplates, aluminum heads, victor intake. 4 barel carb. braided line, home made headers. it realy suprised me when he started it up. i dont remember if said it was a small or a big block. i'm kinda new to domestics but not that new. he also said it produces 580hp at the flywheel, this is a naturally asperated motor. what kind of motor can make that power? i can discribe to you what it looks like, i'll have some pics soon... the valve covers have 4 bolts each. the exhaust 0-00-0 has that pattern the intake has -00-00- patern, distributor in the back 3 freeze plugs on the side, water pump looks really accessable, a friend said it looks like a big block because it is really big, but who knows. thanks for the help

Old 07-15-2006, 02:52 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Bought a 69, What motor is it?

sounds nice man, got a nice car there!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

you have just described almost every V-8 engine GM has ever made LOL. if the rear of the engine is fairly clean and easy to get to, get a flash light and look around the rear of the block close to where the tranny bolts up. the cid will be stamped there. sick

Old 07-15-2006, 03:15 PM

I looked in the back and could not find any stamping. how do you put pics on with your reply. i have some engine shots i can post. thanks a bunch

Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

four bolts on the valve cover and the exhaust pattern you showed its a small block, big blocks have an exhaust patteren 0-0-0-0, also on the big blocks the water pump will have a hose on top going to the intake, and the valve covers are about 6-7 inches wide.
3 freeze plugs on the side will be a factory 400 small block or an aftermarket block. with the work that has been done I would bet it was an aftermarket big inch small block. The guy you bought it from didnt know what the CID of the motor was?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SickSickSick

you have just described almost every V-8 engine GM has ever made LOL. if the rear of the engine is fairly clean and easy to get to, get a flash light and look around the rear of the block close to where the tranny bolts up. the cid will be stamped there. sick

I have never seen the CID stamped anywhere on the block, just casting numbers on the rear and date and vin codes on the pad by the water pump, which would tell you what the enging came out of and CID if it was factory installed into a car, dealer installed replacment motors dont

Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

most of the time you'll never see it unless you have thoroughly cleaned a block for painting. sick

Old 08-01-2006, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SickSickSick

most of the time you'll never see it unless you have thoroughly cleaned a block for painting. sick

I have built a many small blocks 1955 265's through mid 80's 350's and cleaned every one before they get built, even sand blasted a few of mine clean.
still dont remember seeing it, as I have checked the blocks completely to check the casting dates and for any sign's of cracks

Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Pics would help!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yes yes pics pics plz

Quick Reply: Bought a 69, What motor is it?