Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

BBC TIMING COVER

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default BBC TIMING COVER

After several months of listening to the whine of a timing gear, i've realized what a pain in the *** it is. I put the gear in when i was rebuilding the engine, so removing timing cover was not an issue. Now that the engine is in the car, it is an issue. I don't see how i can remove the oil pan on the engine or even drop it enough to get the timing cover off. I'm only seeing about a 3/8" gap between the crossmember and the pan. Has anybody tackled this project before? and if so what is the easiest way to go about it? I really dont want to pull the engine or end up with permanent oil puddles under the car.

Help if you can

thanks
scott
slee@bellcrest.com

Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: BBC TIMING COVER

Answers don't seem to come very fast here(as compared to my home forum) but I will try to help...
I have removed and replaced the timing cover on many big blocks before with very few issues, and very little space.
I am new to Camaros, but I will say that if you do things like loosen one side of the motor and raise it or drop some of the steering out of the way this should be a nice afternoon project. The oil pan won't need to fall much to get the timing cover off. be careful you don't damage the oil pan gasket!!!!! And remember to put some silicone in the corners on the timing cover when you install it.

Sly