Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

305 firing order. i need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 305 firing order. i need some help please

Ok, so i did the wire thing. no spark........................... ERR [:@]So, whats my next step guys

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear member

im not sure. theres only 8 wires that come out of the cap. and i dont see an exsternal coil anywhere. here it is >> http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/9...PERFORMANC.jpg

Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

SWEEET ima first gear member!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, there's no way he'd be able to start it at that much advance of 50+ degrees with his initial timing. BUT, if he's got it that far advanced then there would be a grinding sound of the starter and the flywheel since the compression stroke would be so far off right? Even at around 20 degrees of advance he should be having something like that right? I've seen people break the *** off their starters with their initial advance too high.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

C4maro> That's an HEI distributor. It has a three wire plug that comes out of the side of the distributor from the module inside the distributor. Then there's two seperate wires that connect to the little "lip like" area. One's for a tachometer or other accessory and the other is "hot" wire for the coil. So you should have a total of three connectors going into that. Not three wires but three different connectors.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear member

ya, i dident mean to say eight wires comeing out, i meant that 8 sparkplug wires get attached to it. so whats my next step. i dont have spark so now what do i do.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

C4maro> I personally think it's a spark problem. When I was thinking about the degree thing with Camaro 69 I was picturing it in my head and only thinking it looked like 15 - 20 degrees in my head but he's right about that.

Are you sure you've already done the steps and figured out where #1 should be? If so your next step would be to check your electrical connections at the Distributor. Then I would check fuses for ignitions. I don't know if you have an ignition relay or not though. I know my friend's Neon had a relay and like two fuses for his ignition system. Did you happen to buy a Hayes/Chilton manual for your car like Z28Pete and Camaro 69 suggested earlier in the thread?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you have a test light or meter? Check the hotsupply wire at the distributor for power with the key in the run position. This is too coincidental to be a serious problem though. The engine ran before installing the headers. Try to trace your steps and see if you messed with anything else, either purposely or accidentally.
And to put a nail in the old coffin...you're absolutely sure you now have the spark plug wires all in the right place, correct rotation/sequence, etc.?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear member

still a little confused about the rotor and timing tab and stuff. tell if this is correct.

i take the dist. cap off. put my finger over #1 cylinder hole(bottem right facing engine) then my dad taps engine over tell i feel pressure. then the tab should be lined up with the groove and the rotor should be facing the #1 cylinder hole?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh man, I have a feeling you're going to be a second gear member by the time we're done!!!
Since we don't know if a "no spark" is your only problem, you still need to know that you have the plug wiresin the correct placement. It's all been covered on previous pages of this thread. What you just said is confusing. Sojust to clarify, the #1 cylinder is the front-most one on the drivers side of the engine.

Quick Reply: 305 firing order. i need some help please