Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

305 1977 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Default 305 1977 Camaro

Not wasting any time (just signed up) I've got a question regarding my Camaro. When I bought it it ran, although, you would have to turn the key and press the gas a little to get the engine to start up. Flooding it was somewhat of a hassle for me.

Now, my car will turn over (I think thats the term?) but the engine will not actually start. I have looked under the vehicle and found a small circular object with 2 tubes that would squirt fuel when the gas peddle was pressed, especially when pumped. After some snooping around, I believe this is the fuel filter?? I may be wrong, don't laugh. lol.

Anyways, I think I have identified the problem, but I have no clue where to start in fixing this problem.

Also, though it sucks I cannot drive my Camaro right now (I love it, really.) I was aware that it would likely break down soon. Also, it is a little exciting I suppose to be able to start working on it?

Any thoughts or advice at all would be highly appreciated it.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: 305 1977 Camaro

Can you post any pictures of what you're referring to?
Where on the car did you find what you think is the filter? It would be good to know whether or not someone put a filter where there shouldn't be one. And for safety purposes, NEVER use a plastic in-line filter which can melt or crack, always use a metal one. And don't even try to start the car again until that leak is fixed. Leaking gas under a car is just asking for a fire.
And you're sure it's not the fuel pump (mounted on the passenger side of the engine) that's leaking? That's also a circular object, when viewed from underneath, with two tubes. But I wouldn't consider it "small".

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...098710041.html

Ok, disregard what I said. It looks exactly like that, so, I assume it is actually the fuel pump. Is this worse?

Also, Camaro69, nice color on your Camaro. lol.
Also, commenting on the 393 Stroker (I don't know much about cars, once again) but my dad has something like a 1962 383 or something like that. Is that about the same engine (off topic question).

If you need anymore pictures, I can go out and take a picture of it, but it looks exactly like the fuel bump in the provided link.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You need to find out where the leak(s) are coming from. Your pump may be Ok, and the leaks just coming from the inlet or outlet flare fittings on the pump. Or your rubber inlet hose could be cracked and leaking. The outlet line on the pump is supposed to be steel all the way from the pump to the carb. Running rubber from the pump to the carb is easier, and some guys do it that way, but it's a dangerous fire hazard. Your pump itself could be leaking too, but when they do it's generally through the vent hole on top.
And yeah, nice color on your car too! If your dad has a 1962 383 "something" it might also be a Chrysler product. Mine is a small block Chevy 383 based stroker motor, that's been "tweaked".
Good luck on your leak!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Perhaps there is a better way of finding this out, but just from visual inspection of this item, it is leaking fuel out of where the lines mean the linked object in my last post. I could just go and have it paid to be fixed, but I'm really wanting to learn how to do this. It was one of the reasons I bought the car. I don't think it was leaking top of the object, just at the bottom where the tubes connect to it. I'm really unsure of how to troubleshoot this, go about fixing it, anything else I should look for, etc etc.

As for the engine, well, I hope its a chevy engine. I'm new to the 'muscle car scene' but I have this feeling that it could be slightly frowned upon to put a different brand engine into a car's body? I didn't think they'd be compatible either?

I appreciate the help so far, I've learned quite a bit actually, but I'd like to actually work on it now and I would love some advice on where to start, what to do, how to figure out if that really is the problem, and find out if this problem was caused by another problem somewhere in the car.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
BackseatBob

OK, check and see if it's leaking for sure from the lines. I've had the fuel pump leak from the seam on it. If it's not just the lines leaking you'll probably have to replace the fuel pump.

As for the motor, people put Chevy motors in near everything. Some people will pop a Ford motor into a Chevy or Jeep but most of the time they are swapping out the stock motor for a Chevy. I've never head of someone putting a Chrysler motor in a Chevy though, so it's probably a Chevy motor in it.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wasn't trying to imply there was a Mopar engine in a Chevy...G-O-D forbid!! I only said it could be a Chrysler only because you didn't say Dad's car was a Chevy. There's more than one way to skin a 383 cat!
As far as the fuel pump, if you can be sure that the leak is at the fittings, you'll want to take the lines and fittings off and figure what's wrong. If the pump has flare fittings (you'll be able to see a taper inside the inlets) you want to be sure that a flare pipe was used and that it's in good shape with no nicks or bends at the flare. Otherwise get a new line. If the fitting on the pump isn't flare, then it's an NPT (national pipe thread). The two can't be crossed, meaning using a flare into an NPT or vice-versa won't work. They are slightly different sizes, and different thread pitches. There are plenty of people out there who have no business messing with cars, but do anyway. Who knows what a previous owner may have rigged up. At least you're willing to learn, and this job shouldn't be too hard for you to tackle. Get a repair manual, and/or Google some more research on the internet to get yourself some good reference info...and plenty of pictures.