Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

rebuilding a 305..need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Default rebuilding a 305..need some guidance.

i just pulled my 305 engine (92 camaro rs) and id like to rebuild it. the thing is im not that experienced and i could use some help. it would probably be cheaper to buy a complete engine and pop it in but then how would i learn. the problem i have is that i wanna buy parts but i dont know what to look for or what brands i should try to get. id like to make it pretty powerful but at a resonable price. so with that said i start with a bare small block....now i have to get a cam and crankshaft,etc....how do i know which ones to get that will increase power more than others and help me reach my goal of making it a pretty bad a** engine?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: rebuilding a 305..need some guidance.

The first thing I would think about is possibly finding a 350 to rebuild instead of the 305. Since the machining costs and everything else is the same price the 350 will be a better platform to make power with. Additional stuff to think about is what power level do you want , how much do you want to spend?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM

im not really sure this is my first time rebuilding an engine and im goin into it basically blindfolded considering i dont have that much knowledge about this sort of stuff. but id like to learn. as for the cost i dont really know....how much do you think id end up spending to make a descent engine but nothing too crazy. i mean i could just buy an engine already made but whats the fun in that and i wont learn anything. oh and one more thing why a 350? wouldnt keeping the 305 keep the car as numbers matching?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Ok this is the condensed version since my other post didnt post. The 350 is unquestionably a better choice for a performance buildup. One reason is the size of the bore is prone to shrouding even when using larger valves in the 305. The other reason is cost per hp is better in the 350 than the 305. You do need to consider the change or upgrade of the fuel injection system. Personally if I was just looking from the power aspect I would go with the 350 and convert to a carb. Rebuild costs are basically the same for the 305 or the 350 maybe a little cheaper with the 350. Rebuild costs $1200 to $2000, performance build up using new components $3500 and up. These are ballpark numbers and in reality you can about buy a new gm goodwrench engine close to the rebuild cost. You need to decide on a budget number and a goal........

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM

i was thinking of going with this setup..
350 / L31 4-Bolt Main 350 Short Block Assembly (http://www.sdparts.com/product/12556...kAssembly.aspx)
Dart Iron Eagle Top-End Engine Kits for Chevy
(http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&autoview=sku)
Compcams Magnum,270H Cam and lifters
(http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=HFTCLKIT)
Can you guys tell me what you think...does this seem like a sensible setup so far? i also called Compcams and spoke with a tech....the cam i listed above is what he suggested..but he also told me to change to a 373 rear end gear ratio and also switch up the stall converter with a 2000. id like to hear what you guys think...good idea/bad idea...and i might cross over to a carburetor so i guess an intake manifold is next...i'm welcome to suggestions/comments/or advise...

Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 PM

thats why im askin different people what they think...cause basically all of this is like rocket science to me..meaning i have no idea what anybodies talkin about. well then maybe you can explain a few things to me.. first off, what is your opinion on that 350 that i posted with the link? why are you saying that the heads are too big..meaning they wont fit the block or are you saying that they would work but only if i changed out the pistons/rods/cam.why is 230cc too large..its for the 5.7/350 engine...i mean would it work even if i bought the block and left it untouched and put the heads on? i forgot to mention i was gonna purchase the 350 and have a machine shop bore it .030 over..would that help the heads being too large situation? what do you mean by...that block may have pervision for the factory roller lifter (cage)? are you suggesting the roller cam cause you dont need to adjust it as you would have to adjust the flat tappet cam or am i not understanding you correctly? one more question...if i have lets say a a 230cc and a 200cc...isnt having the 230cc gonna give me more power? sorry for all the questions but im trying to learn..and im hoping that people will understand and help me. thank in advance....

Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quick Reply: rebuilding a 305..need some guidance.