Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

wax on or wax off

Old 01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
April 2007 ROTM
Default wax on or wax off

What is the best wax to use on a older restoration.I tried the meguiars nxt generation tech wax and that made it look real dull and was very very hard to get off.So itried meguiars cleaner wax followed by meguiars clear coat wax looks real good now but is there a better fomula to this maddness.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: wax on or wax off

When restoring paint, there is no short cut. NXT generation is a synthetic wax and is ment for clear coats. Go with Meguires Speed glaze and then their Body Shop Professional Swirl free polish and then a quailty wax such as Zymol.

That takes some time

So if you want to shave some time off, I would recomend using Meguiars 3 step system. It consists of their paint cleaner, polish, and wax (I'm not a fan of that last step... again Zymol or their Gold Class. I would use a different applicator for each step. I'd start out with a cotton/wool applicator and then a microfiber and then a closed cell.

You could take a High speed wheel to it first, but you really need to polish out the swirls and if you want to go a step further, you could wet sand the sucker. That is a LONG LONG LONG process. Use 1000 grit sand paper and use a spray bottle to keep everything lubricated. Use a sanding block so you don't have uneven paint. Around the edges, use your hands and becareful not to cut the paint too shallow. Then you use a high speed polisher to "melt" the paint. Then polish and then wax.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
April 2007 ROTM

thanks alot man i appriciate you takin the time to help me out

Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yea, i am definitely a fan of the meguiars 3 step system. that really doesnt take to long and really helps out an old paint job.

Search this Thread