Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

sequence???

Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default sequence???

what order are you supposed to do all the detailing stuff in? sorry, i am new to actually wanting or caring to take care of my cars paint lol. i know your supposted to wash and dry first. then i think claybar? then maybe wax? but where does polish come in? and is there anything else? i know the shiny stuff for the tires and then the wheel cleaner. sorry but my mom knows i am into this kind of thing now and so i now have a good start on a whole arsenal of meguiars products. which is awesome but i dunno exactly how to use it all? please help.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: sequence???

Read instuctions and follow them or the simple way. Wash & dry car and wax on & wax off. Don't make a simple job sound like rocket science.[sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

kk thanks.
i just wanted to know if there was like any tips or tricks?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Ninja Administrator

do the waxing one panel at a time. judging by your sig, your car is about 4x the size of a typical camaro so this is especially important to avoid streaking

Old 03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

haha thanks

i just want one of those cars that people are like wow that looks nice. i am willing to work for it too just dont really know how. dont wanna mess it up

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Hi keith_AE2010,

I'm new to this forum, but have been detailing cars for probably longer than you've been alive Typically, when you do a complete detail, the order of events would look like this:

1. Wash

2. Using the wash suds as lubricant, clay the entire car. Then, wash it again and rinse it. At this point, you'll notice the water almost sheeting off the car.

3. Dry the car using something like a big blue drying towel (oversized microfiber). Not a huge deal if you get any streaking, because you'll be getting rid of them when you detail anyway.

4. Visually inspect the paint. Do you have scratches, swirl marks, etc? Are you applying products by hand? If so, it's going to be difficult to remove those marks. That's where you need some form of machine application to really get the paint clean and prepped. If you are working by hand, try some form of semi-aggressive product from Meguiar's. It will improve the surface, but probably not 100%. Do the best you can, and wipe thoroughly.

5. At this point, you would then apply polish. I have used a LOT of Meguiar's Hand Polish over the years. It's good, and pretty easy to use.

6. Move on to waxing the car. All Meguiar's products are designed to be used on a cool surface, so don't hesitate to wax the entire car, let it haze, and remove.

The best advice I could offer is find someone locally that could show you the steps. Sometimes it's easier to see it in person than it is to read about it. Once you have the process down, it will be easy and the results will be stunning.

It's fun to watch the neighbors stare at my cars as they walk by I keep my cars detailed often, and the surfaces are like glass!

Good luck with everything!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums. and thanks for all these tips.
i am going over to my buddys house next saturday to do both of our camaros. he has a nice shop for these kind of things. so the second step....do i keep the suds from the first wash then puor them on the car and then clay bar it???