Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Performance Chips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Performance Chips?

well i got a 99 z28 350 LS1
pretty much everything stock.

I was reading about performance chips to increase HP and and gas mileage and i was wondering if its legit.

i was looking at 2 differnet chips just wondering if i could get an opinion about which might be better, or if it will even work, i read somewhere on here that 4th gen cant even have performance chips

http://slrmotorsports.com/shop/index...tail&p=135

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Chevy/Camaro/

sorry if this is a stupid question, just wondering if it would be worth buying. If its legit 50 hp for $80 seems amazing.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Performance Chips?

I tune wont get any car 50hp unless its running like absolute garbage before hand. dont do either. chips dont work on 4th gen camaros. go to HPtuners or PCMforless.com

Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Ninja Administrator

but get some mods done before you even think about tuning. tuning is not done to create you power, its ONLY done to get the full potential out of the mods you already have.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

wow good thing i asked before i wasted $80...thanks for the info....btw im thinking i need a new exhaust, mine kinda rattles like its loose, but when i put it on a lift in the auto shop, i couldnt find what it was hitting up against, but it sounded like it was rattling against something, i had 2 other guys come and try to find it but they couldnt see where it was hitting. Any advice on that? or advice on what type of exhaust to get if i replace it?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

chips dont work on 4th gen camaros.
they do on 93s[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Ninja Administrator

nobody likes 93s

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: SA_Adams

wow good thing i asked before i wasted $80...thanks for the info....btw im thinking i need a new exhaust, mine kinda rattles like its loose, but when i put it on a lift in the auto shop, i couldnt find what it was hitting up against, but it sounded like it was rattling against something, i had 2 other guys come and try to find it but they couldnt see where it was hitting. Any advice on that? or advice on what type of exhaust to get if i replace it?
if the ypipe isnt fitting right it may feel like it hits against the bottom of the car, kind of where your feet are. but this is usually only during take off (for me it is only while i am engaging the clutch, and only if the motor starts to bog). with headers this is a necessary evil...... unless you want to notch your ypipe. for stock ypipes, if this is what you are experiencing, it means its crooked.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i dont really feel it, i hear it towards the end of the exhaust, and its like when i rev it, then let it idle back down it does it alot

Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

its hard to tell without being able to hear it myself. it may not be a leak, it may just be the way your catback sounds when you let off.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is from the first "performance chip" website:
"*All HP and Torque gains are estimates based on engine size and any other performance modifications you already might have."
Hmmmm...bet you can guess where most of your gains would be coming from!
Your exhaust rattle could also be a heat shield. Best thing to do islook and listen under the car while someone else revs the engine. Or you might be able to find your rattle by banging on the exhaust with your fist in different areas.

Quick Reply: Performance Chips?