Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Performance chips

NoHypercrap chip is going to give those horsepower numbers, not with what is burned on & changes from the stock one. The only time you need a new chip for the ECM is when you make drastic changes to the engine & fuel delivery.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear member

LOL....Ive been doing this for a living for a long time now, I know what ones work, and what ones dont...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Ninja Administrator

without going back to the last page, i believe they are talking about 3rd gens, in which case I agree with them. dont waste your money. early EFI cars just did not do well from a chip.

I have also seen chips and bucket tunes work well on late model cars, the s197 mustang GT for example picks up 40rwhp on a cai and tune, and ive seen that dyno proven (used to be a mustang guy and lived at mustangforums.com [&o]). little turbo imports with computer controlled waste gates are getting gobs of power from just a tune, like VW, and even domestic imports do well like the reflash from mopar for the srt4. however, i believe for the price you pay, you are better off getting a wideband and a tuning package so you can dial the tune in specifically for your car and you have the ability to tune an infinite amount of times. i personally have a permenant wideband in my exhaust and use HP tuners, when i get myself tuned ill head to a dyno and get a max power tune, which should only take 1 hours tuning since its dialed in. but I do it this way since i am running a 125 shot of nitrous. im not going to trust that to some company in california and their canned tune

Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear member

I can agree with that... The third gen cars for the most part were programmed as well as can be from the factory, but the newer ones were programmed for fuel milege and such, therefore a chip works well, with a setup like yours, Id agree, Id use a dyno tune over a store bought one... As stated, on my blown vette, I got a whole new PCM and dyno tune...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Ninja Administrator

why did u change out the pcm? the 01 pcm should be fine. in my position since i have a 98 i will probably upgrade with a painless harness or something when i decide to go crazy with it (unless i have a different fbody by then) but the 99+ pcm is capable of controlling anything you can throw at it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Hopefully after tomorrow I can help out with some numbers on the 4th gen V6 and the Hypertech. I'm going to try to get an hour on a dyno -to get a baseline, then test a couple of different intake configurations (Whisper lid/K&N v. K&N FIPK) and then see what the Hyper III tuner will do for it. I eventually intend to go with a custom tune, but wanted to get something in the mean time to get rid of that friggin speed limiter, and maybe add a few ponies.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

be sure to add your best run to the hp thread in general tech.Scan your sheets and I will add you to the rankings, they are a little sparse right now

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

why did u change out the pcm? the 01 pcm should be fine. in my position since i have a 98 i will probably upgrade with a painless harness or something when i decide to go crazy with it (unless i have a different fbody by then) but the 99+ pcm is capable of controlling anything you can throw at it.
In my 01 Vette I was getting 34 MPG on the highway... They were programmed for fuel milege by factory beleive it or not... So I changed the air fuel ratio and upped the timming by 3 degrees, now im down to 28 MPG on the highway, and I get more power... I was going to up it more, but with running a blower, I didnt want to take the chance of too much KR going on under the hood...

Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

i under stand that, but my understanding was that you got a completely new pcm. u can use a handheld or HPt/efilive to change the tune around for power rather than economy. so its still the same pcm that came in the car right? just a new map loaded into it?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes and no... Mine was sent to ZZP and done, then I put it in... I didnt PHYSICLY do it myself on this one...

Quick Reply: Performance chips