Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Looking for a stand alone fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Looking for a stand alone fuel system

Call me lazy, stoopid, w/e... i cant seem to find a stand alone fuel injection system for a v8... gen 1 small block specific
heres what im looking for in a "stand alone" kit.. ECU, 4/2 barrel throttle body, injectors, rails, harness, and all necessary sensors. nothing more, nothing less.

ill buy a TPI compatible intake from summit to go along with the jectors.. im just lookin for FI and dont want a $8,500,000.00 EZ EFI throttle body injection system, cuz thats basically a computer controlled glorified carburetor toilet system

Last edited by MelloYello; 02-06-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you looked to see what fast has? could use a late 3rd or 93 4th gen setup.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear member

now that i think of it, im thinkin aboot going to pull-a-part and removing the efi system off any chevy 350 engine.. but i have my doubts because of ECU reasons..

hmm.. after seeing prices like this- http://www.compperformancegroupstore...tegory_Code=GM
it makes my option of a 'custom' pieced togethre setup a little more flavourful.
the TBI setup is slightly more reasonable, but then again its just a glorified toilet (carb). dont get me wrong, im sure its 10 times better than carbureted, but it still has no way to evenly distribute fuel/air to each cylinder evenly..

Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

used to be the hot rod guys used the 92-93 set up, dont know if they still do, i do know the ecm was not easy to find for mine cause of that. found several setup for the stick. dont know how it would work with a standard 350 but you would think it would. you better do some more research.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if you really want to get into it Mega Squirt will do the job. There is a lot of learning there. Also a factory 97 up TBI system with the right tuning software is 100% configurable.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Droid

You could look at a mechanical Hilborn system, does not use a computer.
http://hilborninjection.com/index.asp

Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Well if you really want to get into it Mega Squirt will do the job. There is a lot of learning there. Also a factory 97 up TBI system with the right tuning software is 100% configurable.
woah, that mega squirt looks awesome.. you build the ECU yourself?? thats sweet as F word... its got performance and the 'i made that' factor.. i can totally do dat..
but, im super confused on the MS website... is MS just an ECU company? so if i found a pulled TPI chevy engine with all the sensours and no ECU, megasquirt would suffice for the missing factory ECU? and leave out all the othre nonsense the stock ecu would be controlling (ABS, trans, etc)?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Default Efi

Mega junk. lot of problems. The Fast system is a lot of money but it did include a intake, distributor, fuel pump, filters, and is based on a direct port injection system...etc..

Holley has some good systems based on the Pro Comander ECU.

You get what you pay for.

Go with Holley or FAST. Use one with direct port fuel injection and control the timing with the right distributor. You will make more power, have better acceleration and get better gas mileage. Go with the best technology available that you can afford. It will cost less in the long run.

One last thing, use a professional tuner with a eddy current dyno that can do steady state tuning.

Originally Posted by MelloYello
woah, that mega squirt looks awesome.. you build the ECU yourself?? thats sweet as F word... its got performance and the 'i made that' factor.. i can totally do dat..
but, im super confused on the MS website... is MS just an ECU company? so if i found a pulled TPI chevy engine with all the sensours and no ECU, megasquirt would suffice for the missing factory ECU? and leave out all the othre nonsense the stock ecu would be controlling (ABS, trans, etc)?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am a little confused about what is wrong with the Mega squirt system? It’s a ECU that can use any sensor you want. It does not come with anything but what do you want for $250? I have helped a couple guys with the tuning side, it helps to be good with electronics but basicly you design the system and program it. If the system is not working right you know where to point the finger.

One friend used it to put EFI on a 72 spitfire. He made his intake out of aluminum piping from a swimming pull. The whole system cost him less than $400. I have another friend that put a Saturn intake and system on an early 80s Porsche.

Most sparkeys can get this up and “running” but without the knowledge of what an engine needs the tuning can be tuff. At the time there was no self teach mod. You have to understand what the motor wants to see so you do not get a hesitation and how to handle cold starts. Things like timing curves and fuel mapping are all trial and error. I think some of the old timer carb tuners would love this system. I mean heck you want a knock sensor put one and tell the system what to do with the signal you don’t want one don’t put it on. You want it to control the timing then get the right distributer and hook it up. If not just get an old school distributer with vacuum advance and a set of weights.
You can say Mega Squirt is too hard to do, you can say it is not user friendly or even cryptic, but junk? It is a hobby in itself. If you goal is to get the car up and running this is not the best but if you goal is to learn about EFI and have a hobby this system will push you and its limits are defined by you and your skills. The system is not for me I do not want to dedicate that much time to it but the guys I know that have it love it. They are constantly trying new stuff, adding removing sensors trying different sensors looking for more accurate ones.

If you go this route I suggest a ton of research. I mean hours and hours, by the time you order your ECU kit and ECU tester kit you should all ready know what sensors you want to use and if you are going with a MAF sensor or not and hopefully have found a base line sample program to get the car started