Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Carb- 350ci '71

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb- 350ci '71

Can anyone tell me what a good carb would be for a stock 350 in a 71 Camaro? The car has a 4 speed manual trans. and currently has a 2 barrel, but i'd like to go to a 4 barrel and something that would allow me to do a little bit of modification to the engine in the future. Maybe like a Holley 750CM Four Barrel?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:05 AM
2nd Gear member

i hear alot of good things with the Holley 750cm, i right now have a Rochester 4bbl which is doing its job, better than a 2bbl but im thinking about upgrading once i get the more essencial things out of the way

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Carb threads are like oil threads,you'll get a lot of opinions.
Holley makes a couple different 750 carbs and either is a decent choice.
I prefer the manual secondary double pumper.
That said a 750 is a lot of carb for a stock 350 low compression 2 barrel engine,just like Holley makes a couple different 750 carbs Chevy makes a couple different 350's with very different internals.
Your engine isn't going to like that much gas without at least all the bolt ons and a cam. (intake,headers,etc.)
A better set of heads would also be advised,it can get expensive.
Do your future mods as a package deal all at once or you'll be disappointed in the results.
For now just find a stock 4 barrel intake and Rochester Q-jet carb would be my advise and start collecting parts for a build.
If you have headers and dual exhaust already you could go with a Performer type intake and a 600 Holley or Edelbrock carb and get away with it then upgrade later to a 750 or bigger with other engine mods and still maybe use the intake depending on how radical you want to go.

Last edited by Y2K; 11-18-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

750 is way overkill for a 350. Required carburetor cfm is based on how much cfm the engine itself is capable of pumping through at any given rpm range. Don't get sucked into the "bigger is better" way of thinking. A 650 should do you up nicely.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 11-18-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input. I realize that bigger might not be better, but as I mentioned I would kind to do some more modifications to the engine later like the mods mentioned (intake, headers, cam, and dual exhaust). I dont plan on getting to crazy with this engine because eventually I would like to drop in a new LS6 crate engine (when I get the money). But for now I just want to keep the stock 350 and do some mild modification to get a little more HP out of it. So as of now going off of what everyone said, I think I'll probably just go with a Holley 650 and probably a new intake manifold for now. Once I get some more money I'll probably add a few more things (headers, cam, etc.) and if I find that I need more carb I can go up to the 750 (which the 650 might even work just fine with the mods I'm planning to do).

Any suggestions on which Holley 650 to go with? Vacuum secondaries versus mechanical?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

If I were you I'd do headers before anything else,does your car even have dual exhaust?
A 650 is even quite a bit of carb without a good exhaust system and you'll need a better intake manifold than a stock 4 barrel intake even with just a 600 carb.
There are adapters but it's not a very good set up so figure on something like a performer intake,you gotta get rid of that 2 barrel intake anyway so you might as well get something decent.
Here's the problem,you want something that will work with your stock engine but that you can use with a modded engine later,it just doesn't work very well that way.
A 650 even bore double pumper is my preference in 650cfm carbs,I like manual secondaries and that boost of a second accelerator pump but it's probably going to be too much carb for what you have there.
A vacuum secondary Holley 600 will be plenty of carb for what you have now and it's a low price carb so that might be your best bet but it's going to be less than suitable after a bunch of mods so you'll be looking at another carb when that time comes,follow me here?
If you throw a 650 on your stock motor with no headers you'll probably just use more gas and actually loose performance,you need a package that works together,headers,intake,carb,cam,heads,ignition.
Doing just a carb or just a cam by itself does nothing for you without the other parts,again I'd start with headers and a good exhaust system,at least it will sound better and won't hurt your performance.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

you're probably right, I should probably just bite the bullet and get everything now...I'm going to have the motor all apart to rebuild it anyways, so I can do a moderate cam, new intake manifold, and some new headers, then when I get the car back together I can run a 650 carb and put in a nice dual exhaust. In the long run I'll save me money in buying parts twice, not to mention the extra time spend pulling the top end of the motor apart again... I was trying to avoid spending that much money on the motor right now but I'm starting to thing that just doing it right the first time is the best option.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

So since I'll probably just get everything all at once, any recommendations for cam's, intake manifolds, headers?? Mostly I'm wondering what I should get for a cam...I'm looking for a moderate cam that's not too over the top but will give me some decent power gains.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Now your making sense,here's a package deal from Summit racing that has the cam/lifters,timing set,intake,and carb,I think would work well on your motor and save you a bunch of money.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-BBC100/
It has a Quadrajet not a Holley but there's nothing wrong with that,I run one off a Cadillac 500 engine on the 454 in my truck with an Edelbrock Performer intake and headers.
I swapped the Q-jet on in place of a Holley 750 double pumper for better gas mileage and am quite happy with it,it runs better cold and I didn't notice any loss of power with it.
If I was drag racing I'd want the double pumper Holley but on the street for a mild 350/automatic a 750 q-jet will be just fine.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

So here's the setup I'm considering at the moment...(still need to find a cam...not sure about what lift, duration, overlap would be best...).

Intake Manifold:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7501/

Headers:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2451-1HKR/

Carb:
http://www.holley.com/0-76650BL.asp

Let me know what you think of this setup. Also, if you have any idea about a cam. I've always been partial to comp cams but I'm open to any other suggestions. My main concern is what duration, lift, overlap to run.

Quick Reply: Carb- 350ci '71