Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

where to mount my amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default where to mount my amp?

i was wondering if it would ve safe to drill 1/2 inches into the metal hump thing between the place for the T-tops and the back seat,
i wanted to make sure i wouldnt be drilling into the the gas tank or anything like that.

as always thanks for the hhelp

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it all depends. where on that hump. if you put it where the t-tops go u might want to be careful. theres about a inch and a half space where the tank sits right on that area. thats where mines mounted though. all i can say is be carefull. its not hard to find where the tank is near it but i mean stuff happens an people mess up.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my box is where the t tops go, so the box is level with the flat part right behind the back seat, thats where im wondering if i could mount it

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

then im not sure there'd be room but i see alot of people putting them there but they could jus be lucky. do you care if people see it or not. If you dont then id put it under ur box. that way its outta ur way an you dont have to worry about the tank.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thats kinda what i was thinking, but then its a pain in the *** to mess with the frequency and input levels

Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah my first 97 camaro RS, the guy placed the amp where your thinking, and he used too long of screws.. I knew I smelled gas when I bought it. Gas leaking all over the place.. quickest emptying tank ever on a V6. Also, The way the guys did it for me since I didn't have much room either because of T-Tops, they put my subs in between the hatch and the backseat (visible through the back window unfortunately), and they just screwed the amp onto the back flat side of the sub.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by YoungDriver
Yeah my first 97 camaro RS, the guy placed the amp where your thinking, and he used too long of screws.. I knew I smelled gas when I bought it. Gas leaking all over the place.. quickest emptying tank ever on a V6. Also, The way the guys did it for me since I didn't have much room either because of T-Tops, they put my subs in between the hatch and the backseat (visible through the back window unfortunately), and they just screwed the amp onto the back flat side of the sub.

you know about how much clearance i would have? like maybe 1/2 or 1/4 screws? wouldnt be to long?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Well the guy that put it there used huge 3 inch screws.. don't ask me why it wasn't even a big amp. I'd say you have about an inch? I'm guessing between there and the gas tank. That's how far mine went behind without hitting. FreshCamaro said here earlier in the thread you have about an inch and a half before hitting? So you probably pretty safe with using an inch extra, leaves half an inch of clearance.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok sounds good, im going to look around first before i drill, ill let you guys know how it igoes

thanks for all the info

Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

before you go drilling into the body, let me suggest a amp rack. It's easy to make and doesn't take much to make it look nice and your not drilling into the body. Plus you can hide your wires using it also. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's just a piece of wood that's got two stips or more holding it up off the carpet, and your amp would be screwed into the top with the wires ran though the top and under it to where ever they go. What I've seen for fbody's is usually made to fit the whole the deck behind the seat. This is very basic description I know, you can go wild. If you'r using a crossover you can mount that they as well, as well as distrobution blocks, caps, fuse blocks, etc... If you want some more help, just ask.

Quick Reply: where to mount my amp?