Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

What's a nice basic bass set-up for a '95Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What's a nice basic bass set-up for a '95Z28?

Keep this in mind, manufacturers publish 2 types of power ratings for speakers. Max power and Constant power. Don't be fooled by their ads!
Max power: is the amount of wattage a speaker can handle for a milisecond (thousanth of the second) so don't use this number.
Constant power or RMS: is the amount of power a speaker can handle in the real-world. This is the number you're looking for.

Also, always over-power your speakers. In other words, if you have 100W speakers, make sure to use 125W/ch Amp to run them. Otherwise you will be sending out distorted signal beyond the amps max rating and that can blow speakers quickly. Oh, and Amps use the same Max vs. RMS power numbers to advertise higher numbers too.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Some amps sadly still over-rate their rms power. And Also keep in mind the companys that advertise power that the amp their selling cant even do! You'll see some amps that are 800x1 max power when it's also stated it does 400x1 @ 2 ohm. What they mention under their breath is that the amp isn't even 1 ohm stable! This is why you stick to reputable...(Not popular, and not big name) reputable for truly rating their amplifiers. It's rare to find nationally known brands that rate every product they sell in true power ratings. JL is one of those examples. I remember 5+ years ago when everyone said "buy JL amps there all underated so they can get into competitions and blow everything else away" Little did many people know they were still doing true power back then when no one else was . Sadly for JL their so well known and real rated equipment they can charge for it, so be ready to fork out some cash forone of the bestnationally known brand.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 AM

im runnin a memphis set up in my 98....2 memphis pr's and a memphis pr' amp....spent about 450 on that plus a box off a friend....check ebay if cost is your concern they usually got this stuff at good prices....the subs are loud, clear, and hit a range of notes.....i was surprised considering the cost but memphis is a strong company in my opinion

Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Memphis definatly is a decent company out there.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 AM

quick question Seight311...y is it that ina camaro forum you have a pic of a mustang lol...just curious

Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Because thats my car.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I was reffered over here from Hisss because this entire forum is severly corrupted with bad information about car audio. So me and him are here in effort to educate and help out people as much as possible. Even though the Camaro is the arch enemy of the Mustang since they both existed, I respect a nice car and the owner.

Most imports however, not quite the same situation. I hope their car falls apart or blows up from improperly installing junk audio in their cars. One less chainsaw inside an oil drum sounding "car" on the road... The better.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: mdkurth

im runnin a memphis set up in my 98....2 memphis pr's and a memphis pr' amp....spent about 450 on that plus a box off a friend....check ebay if cost is your concern they usually got this stuff at good prices....the subs are loud, clear, and hit a range of notes.....i was surprised considering the cost but memphis is a strong company in my opinion
Power reference series?

You're just barely scratching the surface of what Memphis has to offer.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM

in reply to seight311....112% agree on that import topic.....and in reply to Hiss...yea I know it was my first system so I didn't go too big on it...plus budget didn't permit me to do so....I did however match it up with the M class 6.5's and the Blaupunkt Los Angeles head unit which provides amazing control....I am considering a sub upgrade shortly

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The place I worked at recently stopped selling Memphis right when I started, and we had some of their lower level stuff, Pr and M-Class. And it wasn't too bad of stuff. We had two PR 10's in a slot ported box in the sound room, and to be honest it was damn close to being just as loud, if not louder than a single 12W7. And it was 2 $110 subwoofers. Pretty impressive.

Quick Reply: What's a nice basic bass set-up for a '95Z28?