Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speaker suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Default Speaker suggestions please

I have a '97 Camaro z28 convertible. I am looking to replace the speakers and would appreciate some suggestions. I have the stock stereo in- AM/FM, tape, 12-disc trunk mounted CD player. I need quality speakers with quality sound, I don't need the ultimate speakers or big bass thumpers. I would also like suggestions as to where to purchase them as well as advice on doing the work myself (there is probably already a thread on that so please direct me to it).

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Default RE: Speaker suggestions please

Let me also tell you why I think I may need to replace the speakers:

When the AM/FM radio is on, the right-front speaker does not work. When the cd player is on, only the right-rear speaker works. I am not sure what will happen when I try to play a cassette tape.

Any insight to this issue would be much appreciated.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I would also suggest upgrading your head unit

Do you have the money to purchase an amplifier and a set of componets along with a head unit? (Ballpark $500 for all that)

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 AM

Yes I can swing $500. What I am looking for is quality and durabilty, not anything extreme. If I am to upgrade my head unit I want something that plays cd-r/rw, mp3, (I think they all do that by now) doesn't have (or can be turned off) some cartoon playing on loop all the time on the lcd that drives me bonkers at night and a remote. I would also prefer the head unit face to flip out and then retract like one I saw in an old buddies car once. When the unit was off the faceplate turned in on itself and closed leaving nothing but a flat blank back to see, and when it was on the face was out and down at an angle enabling you to use the controls without having to open the face to insert the cd all the time (sorry I forget the brand and model).

I have a big old heavy speaker box with some weak 10's and 4's and a little amp, but I would prefer not to use these to avoid the weight and space consuming issues. I would rather just be able to have decent quality sound coming from the stock speaker areas so I can accomadate the chicas when they want to listen to some tunes and not my pretty lil 5.7 growling.

So what head units, amps and components should I be looking at and where is the best place to get them? I have two decent, exclusively car audio stores in my area as well as a Circuit City and Best Buy down the road. As for installation, how can I choose the right place to have the stuff installed (both local car audio places do installation) and what can I expect to pay (I realize this can vary drastically in different areas so I'm just looking for a ballpark number).

Thx Seight.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Check out http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1Uw9529bc8X/ they might even have some sales or something. Head units are getting pretty cheap right now so I would say 500 with ease. I have the MP3/data capabilities with my head unit and I can fit about 6-7 albums on one disc, I use it on all of my cd's usually(only downside is you can't always take them to a friends car or in house). I purchased mine at Best Buy and bought the 4 year store warranty, it actually started messing up about 2 months ago, I have a year left on warranty, so I'm just checking the store frequently for a new model to come out. no questions asked

Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok you said you didn't want bass and all that, but I found a great place that makes custom sub boxes.
Check out www.subthump.com

Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3259753/tm.htm

Exact same thing, plus or minus the woofer suggestion, your choice.

This is a great budget system.

Place to have it installed, most pro shops have the same pricing as many big box stores and are much more reliable. I would stay away from big box stores at all costs.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 PM

Well if u want some good speakers i would check out infinity kappas or rockford t series speakers or the best i think would be some jl's but udefinately need a new head unit anything would be better than stock.........but if ur interested in speaker i get some pretty good cheap hookups on brand new rockford fosgate subs amps and speakers and also on brand new jl stuff too