Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

RADAR DETECTORS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: RADAR DETECTORS.

Are you an officer, Cpl?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

MP There is little differance as far as duties go. I am a federal cop, which means if there is a law that doesnt exist in the federal books, instead of making something up I can assimulate local law. For example there are no traffic laws federally, so I will use the VA code for speeding or running stop signs or whatever. I do all the same stuff as county or city cops do, I even have instructed some on certain skills - like radar for example.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Ninja Administrator

There was actually a report in our local paper about this stuff. The article said that cops were having a hard time pulling people over because EVERYONE was speeding. as it turns out, the police radar does not tell you who is speeding, just the speed of the fastest object in the field and the officer has to discern which car is speeding [the most]. I think it also gives audio cues like changing frequency when something speeds up or slows down so if u hit the brakes when u see him and the cop hears the device change pitch he knows it was u he was clocking.

The cop in the article said rule number 1: "you are a pack animal, stray out and youre dead". I dont follow this rule [&o] so I follow the first post and get urself a good detector. I have the 150-200 dollar cobra model. cant remember the name. Works great. i can pick up cops almost a mile out some times and even over hills every once in awhile. i had the cheap *** one. and it wouldnt pick up the cop till he was about 20 feet away then it would peg at level 5. complete crap

Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Droid

The whole idea is to travel at warp speed, then the radar beam won't be able to reach you, besides you and your car will have infinite mass and be able to run intoand annihilateanything you choose.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha, how am I supposed to travel at warp speed with a V6? lmao

Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You are on it specter. If there is a bunch of cars we have a difficult time, it takes practice to be able to comfortably decide which one is speeding. Go with the flow and you will most likely be fine.
If itsLIDAR you will loose.
Radar jammers and scramblers do not exist - untill you can learn to move an object the speed of sound and put that object between you and the radar.
Safest speed is no more than 9 over the posted speed limit.
If your detector picks up the cop before you see him or before he sees you and you get a ticket, you are probably dealing with a drone(newb or slacker)and I would take it to court.
There is your free advice from a cop.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cplthomas
Radar jammers and scramblers do not exist - untill you can learn to move an object the speed of sound and put that object between you and the radar.
In my exsperence 99% of the radar jammers out there are really just crap. However I wouldnt say it is impossible. I would say it is not worth it, any radar jammer that works is sending out a signal. A strong signal at that, and that means it would be transmittion on an FCC liecend frequency without a lience. which is a felony and will get you a nice seat in prison.

As far as driving safe goes. Why does the law say that the safiest way to drive is going the speed limit, However the Department of Transportation says the safiest way to drive is with the flow of traffic. It has been proven time & time again that higher speed limits reduce accidents. Allowing cars to go faster means traffic wil be more spred out which means theres less chances of an accident. If this is a government of the people, and a majority of the people think the speed limit should be raised, why are we being ticked and having our insurence rates raised becuase we are "speeding."

sorry if I started ranting.

I will say though I am never pulled over by police. I speed all the time, the other morning I was on a road alone going 55 in a 40 when a cop slowly passed me. I had a radar detector in my convertible and never got pulled over with it. Ive never used a radar detector in my camaro and still, have never been pulled over in it. There for your best bet is being aware of your surroundings. A radar detector will assist you, but if you pay attention you will not need it.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

@ Thomas - I'd say a safe speed around here is about 7 mph over the limit. But I guess that also depends on where you live.

@ Stig - The very first day I started driving, I found myself looking around all the time for cops. Every corner I turn or every road I pass, I always check for cops. I guess its just habbit hah.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Overdrive Member

The best one rated, and I have used is:

http://valentine1.com

HOWEVER, they will not always save you from tickets, especially at night when it is harder to visually identify cops dying to charge you the speed tax. Instant on, and laser radar will not be detected adequately with any detector because of the way they work...

A detector is a good investment, but being alert and being cautious at night is very wise. Watch out for those $200+ speed tax tickets in Door County, WI for less than 30 over the limit! OUTRAGEOUS! (they use like a pulse or instant on radar up there -- very dangerous at night, as you cannot see them)

ORIGINAL: HEAVYCHEVYMAYNE.

I JUST GOT MY FIRST CAR AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THESE AT ALL. ARE THEY WORTH IT? AND WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Overdrive Member

There is no such thing as military acting as federal police officers! That is why you are an MP, which is military specific. Ever hear of the Posse Comitatus Act? It is the law against Big Government Despotism - The military cannot be used as civil law enforcement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

The founders of this great nation specifically despised the idea of a federal military police.

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

MP There is little differance as far as duties go. I am a federal cop, which means if there is a law that doesnt exist in the federal books, instead of making something up I can assimulate local law. For example there are no traffic laws federally, so I will use the VA code for speeding or running stop signs or whatever. I do all the same stuff as county or city cops do, I even have instructed some on certain skills - like radar for example.

Quick Reply: RADAR DETECTORS.