Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://camaroforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-20/)
-   -   RADAR DETECTORS. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-20/radar-detectors-18400/)

HEAVYCHEVYMAYNE. 08-26-2007 01:34 PM

RADAR DETECTORS.

I JUST GOT MY FIRST CAR AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THESE AT ALL. ARE THEY WORTH IT? AND WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET? ANYHELP IS APPRECIATED.

TheStig 08-26-2007 02:40 PM

RE: RADAR DETECTORS.

Speeding without a radar dectector is like sleeping around with out condoms. Sooner or later, your gunna get cought.

In my convertible I had an old radar dectector & it worked great. Never even got pulled over and I am a freqent speeder. But then I tottaled the car & the radar dectector never worked again. It was found lying in the grass sevreal yards away from the crash =(

After I got my camaro I did buy a cheeper dectector from Cobra & didnt like it at all. A good radar dectector should give you a warning in advance & give you enough time to slow down. They should also not have false alarms alot, or go off for things other than radar guns.

My advice to you is too #1 - Dont be driving like an idoit and you should probly get some driving exsperience before you buy one. Im not saying speeding is driving like an idoit, somtimes its accully safer. But you have to know when to slow down.

#2 - Dont buy cheep, My last radar dectector hardly ever went off on false alarms & it always gave me plenty of advanced warning. The cheap one I bought does neither & I didnt like it. Thats why I returned it. Cheap radar dectors are only a warning of when your about to get a ticket. I have not owned any of their products however, I would not buy any product from "rocky mountain radar" as they lie about most of their products abilitys & have a bad track record. Usally name brands like Cobra, passport and valintine are the best.

#3 - All Radar "Jammers" or "scramblers" are either A: illegal or B: Dont work. Trust me, any radar jamer that works sends out a signal which can scamble police radar guns, and that is a federal offence which can get you jail time & is a HUGE fine. It also puts a felenoy on your record, its not worth it. The other kind are these jammers which claim to be "passive" and not send out a signal which makes them legel. It also makes them a peice of crap & a waist of money. They have been tested and dont work.

Laser or "Lider" jammers are not illegal however most police departmence stick to radar becuase its cheaper & easier. And I wouldnt be surprized if they are illegel in comming years. So, dont waist your money on these either.

Basicly you best off just getting a regular radar & lidar detector that is of good quility. I would go to circut city or somwhere & look at some of those. Remeber it may be exspencive now, but It will save you money in the future. You could also try ebay if you want to get a good quility detector that has been used.

PS - This should be a sticky

z28pete 08-26-2007 05:24 PM

Be careful of instant on radar or lidar. When your detector goes off you already been clocked,

TheStig 08-26-2007 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Be careful of instant on radar or lidar. When your detector goes off you already been clocked,
Not nessacarly. Usally they clock cars as they come down the highway, which means a few cars infront of you will get clocked as well. You detector should detect those cars getting clocked & give you a good warning. But yea, if a cop points the gun right at you and waits till he accully clocks you, you wouldnt get a warning from the RD. But this almost never happens, you would have to be singled out & noone infront of you would be checked.

The Banks 08-26-2007 08:37 PM

I consider Valentine 1's to be the best.They are expensive, but well worth the price. The rare occassions when I do speed I use a Silver Bullet which I got when my dad upgraded to the V1. It does a good enoughjob for me. It detects the different bands and gives you a fair amount of warning time.

prevarications 09-11-2007 06:25 PM

A good site for radar detectors, or any consumer goods for that matter, is www.consumersearch.com.

I have a Bel 965 that claims to have 8x the range of its base model...its really not a lot, and you have to slow down quick as you'd come up on them sooner than you'd expect. Also, it gives a false sense of security, which is what I dislike the most. Ideally, all cops would have radar, and keep them on. :)

84 z ..... 09-25-2007 11:32 PM

I would love to get one but their illegal in canada, and now cops got a detector for the detector
[align=left] [/align]

Bzman 09-30-2007 08:52 PM

I'm going to look into getting a valentine one. People swear by them so if i'm gonna get one, i'd rather just do it right the first time, besides i'm sure i'll have it for a while anyways. They may be expensive, but a speeding ticket plus the raise on a premium for a 21 year old makes it worth it.

armynatguard18 10-01-2007 05:00 AM

they're not worth it at all, believe me. only way they'd work is if u were in a bunch of traffic and the officer was shooting a stationary radar that wasn't laser. and even then it only works if they're doing a continuous radar, cuz even ifthey don't have laser radar, they still have a trigger where they can turn it off and on. so basically i'm saying it only works under optimal conditions

cplthomas 10-05-2007 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: TheStig

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Not nessacarly. Usally they clock cars as they come down the highway, which means a few cars infront of you will get clocked as well. You detector should detect those cars getting clocked & give you a good warning. But yea, if a cop points the gun right at you and waits till he accully clocks you, you wouldnt get a warning from the RD. But this almost never happens, you would have to be singled out & noone infront of you would be checked.

I have a button on my gun, it says 'fastest', it singles you out for me. All I have to do is determine which one is the fastest out of the crowd of cars. It's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Also, I just love the urban legends associated with radar. Tin foil under the hub cap is my favorite. If you obey the law of this great country you don't have to worry about it.