Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Now that my head unit is installed i have a power problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Now that my head unit is installed i have a power problem

I have two problems:

1.deciding to keep or replace my stock bose speakers. I heard that Bose can take a beating and are really good but I have a pair of 6-1/2" pioneer kickers that max at 160watts and a JBL 460watt max amp and a 1000watt 12" JBL Sub. Now with all that should i keep the stock 4bose speakers or replace the two kickers with my pioneers. (I know that the MAX wattage isnt what matters over RMS, im just too lazy to look at all the RMS specs)

2.Now my second power problem isnt putting power behind my speakers etc. its powering my car... My deck seems to be draining the heck out of my car but i think i may have a bad alternator. I turned the car on and unplugged the negative wire (because everything should be able to run on the alternator after start up right?)to see if it was the battery or alternator that was strugglingand my car died but started up again no problem when i reconnected it and charged it. So far my battery has died on me twice and after charging it I havent had any trouble starting. Now when i cruise around and i pull up to a stop my dash lights flutter and my battery guage goes insane. My question is do i need a stronger battery JUST to power this new head unit or could it be putting too much stress on my alternator and thats causing my battery to drain?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Now that my head unit is installed i have a power problem

Sounds like your alt is having a lot of trouble. You may want to look into replacement for it. My truck did that right before the alt ate itself. I think the alternator is having trouble replenishing the battery as its expended, at least at low rpms, ie idle. So, that's probably the issue.
Because if it were battery issues, I'd think you'd have problems at startup too.
Does it have issues only with the head, or does it do it without it too?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:55 AM
4th Gear Member

i got a new alternator and now its fine it just dances between the 1/2 mark and the orange but nothing to crazy.. and my abs inop light shut off AND my speedometer seems to have mellowed out (it would say i was doin 50 at a dead stop..)

Now about the speakers, can i throw a 460 max watt amp and a 1000 max watt 12" sub keep the stock speakers and have enough clean power to sound good. I know bose is premium for speakers so can i just hook my amp and sub up to the stock and not have to worry about any problems?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you're happy with the Bose, I'd say definitely keep them. The first thing I did to my old C1500 (swapped it recently for my '74) was a sub/amp combo and it was pretty good. Really the only issue you'd have to worry about is the sub drowning out the stock speakers. Of course, a little amp adjustment and that's all taken care of. So, yeah, I don't see why not.
Oh, and I dig the pic on your signature.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM
4th Gear Member

haha thanks! Ok so the4bosespeakerscan handle all that power and make it clean power? Thats all i need to know. Now i just need the RCA cables etc. and i can hook up the amp and the sub. Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

No problem, bro. I'm glad to lend my knowledge where I can. Let me know how it turns out.
If you're amping the Bose, watch the power output to them, though. I'm not sure what they're rated for, so you'll want to check that before you push them too hard.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

ok, is there somewhere i could look that up?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear member

i think the bose system is 500 watts, almost posotive. But, thats total power im sure, not sure on individual speakers.. I think the monsoon stepped it up to 600..

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 AM
4th Gear Member

oh.That the whole thing or the factory amps? kuz my sub and amp will sound better im sure.