Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New to audio work, won an awesome system, now need help installing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Default New to audio work, won an awesome system, now need help installing

Ok so I won a kicker audio system containing a S12L7 Sub, 4 Rs65.2 speakers, a 4channel amp, and a monosub amp. Ive never really done anything besides put in a factory head unit so I need a lot of help.

Going in a 97 Z28 coupe

What I'm thinking so far is I want to mount the ampsin the back wherethe ttops go go and Im going to make a sub box to fit in there also or on the side. (i want to keep that area free for storage)

I want to get a new head unit and I'm confused as to which type of outputs it needs to power 2 amps, and since the amp for the speakers is only 4 channel can I still hook up the two rear speakers directly to the head unit?

I know this is probably a really easy question but I've never been too into car audio..but I won all this stuff for free so of course I have to like it now!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
srs
Default RE: New to audio work, won an awesome system, now need help installing

You want a head unit with three sets of RCA outputs. Front, Rear and Sub. Front and Rear will go into the 4 channel and the Sub goes into the mono amp. Ideally you would want to get a "dead head" which is a head unit that doesn't have ANY speaker outputs. In order for a head unit to power speakers, it has to have its own internal amp. Internal amps create noise. Noise is bad.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: New to audio work, won an awesome system, now need help installing

that l7 is going to slam id recommend getting a good ported box for that sub but unfortunately u are going to use all the room in the back. AS for the hu it dont matter if it has internal amps it never caused me probs. Any decent deck over $200 should have all the 3 pre outs but try to look for one with at least 4v. as for the amps i left some room on my box for them to fit in between the back.