Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

GM CD Player .....list?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Default GM CD Player .....list?

1993 Camaro here. It still has the GM factory Cassette deck installed.

I'd like to get a CD player to replace it. I'm not too particular on brands, but I'd like one that can:

a)sufficiently read a disc that may have a few scratches on it
b) read CD-RW discs.
c)fits perfectly (GM factory CD player?)to look nice when it comes time to sell the car

I'm happy to go on eBay and bid on one or order somewhere else. Yes, I am looking to get a good deal and don't mind used.I'm just not sure how toknow if a player will indeed fit my vehicle. Is there a list anywhere of detailed GM factory CD players for my vehicle - or other brands that will fit? I donotwant to get a CD player that has to have a special mount to make it fit.

Hopefully this is not a repeat question, because I tried to do a search for this issue and couldn't find anything.

Looking forward to any help...?
Jim

Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: GM CD Player .....list?

The best one I found for features & price is the JVC KD-HDR1 w/HD Radio & iPod/Aux. connectivity, see:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4jk2nHS...R1&i=257KDHDR1

Note the install gear you need (Crutchfield includes this stuff -- be sure to select your car first for it to tell you what else is needed!), or just get it separately... Metra antenna adapter, faceplate, and Scoche line level adapter (if you have a Bose OEM system) & wiring harness...

There's a $40 rebate from http://ibiquity.com on all HD Radios too!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the Kenwood Exclon series. Yes, pricy if you buy new, but you can get some good deals on refurbishedor out of production units. They'll accept add on CD changers, Sirus and HD radioadapters. They also read cd/rw in WMA or MP3 formats. Din and Din 1.5 (GM size) are availible.

And when coupled with 4 matching Kenwood speakers (get a set of last years models for 1/3 the price),you've got 1 serious sound system.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Forget Satellite Radio - who wants to pay a monthly fee!?! Forget HD Radio adapters -- they milk you for them like $200 each -- the JVC KD-HDR1 has it all built-in... the factory 300 watt Bose works unless you want to go deaf sooner... ;-)

Old 06-15-2007, 07:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I personally like the Kenwood excelon series.... fits real nice and also it sounds jus fantastic...