Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Back Hatch Single 12" Sub Enclosure - Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
mcd
Cool Back Hatch Single 12" Sub Enclosure - Question

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a box to put in the hatch of my '95, and I'm going to run a single Type R on an Alpine 500 @ 2 Ohms. I know everyone makes these boxes for Dual 12" setups, so my question is this;

Have any of you seen a box for a Single 12" setup?
I found that Ground Shaker makes a Single 15" Box, with just about the same volume I want to use.
Ground-Shaker

Already got the money invested in the Sub and Amp, so I'm not buying another Type R just to get the box and have to get the 1000w to power them both. I just don't need that much bass anymore.

Also - What are your thoughts on putting a slot port in the box? I'd like to use a box like the one Ground Shaker makes, and put in a slotted port tuned to about 32-35hz for the Type R with about 2-2.5 Cubic Ft of room. I've seen that all of these boxes are sealed, and I don't have any experience using Ported Vs. Sealed boxes in a small hatch like on the Camaro. Opinions?

Thanks guys!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have seen one that's like the 2 12 setup that only had one 12 hole cut and the other side used to mount the amp, but that's been years ago. You've done a lot of searching already so it it was still around you probably would of found it. Do you have ttops? Do you still want to be able to put those in the back? I would make you're own, it's not that hard and it sounds like you have some knowledge.

As far as the porting goes, I wouldn't bother as the camaros/firebirds naturally give any sealed set up in the back a bandpass effect, porting with this natural effect sounds distorted.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
mcd

I was thinking the same thing greenarrow, probably would've found it by now if someone did make one but oh well. I'll just have to have one made. I'd make it myself but I live in an apartment with no garage in a Military town. Don't have the tools/time/space to do it haha. Yes, I have T-Tops but I'm not worried about losing the space. If I take them off, it'll just be for a quick cruise around the town and I can just leave them here at home. That makes sense about the bandpass effect, glad I got your opinion before I decided to go ahead and port a box haha! Thanks!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Good luck, post some pics of what you come up with.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

any luck figuring anything out?? I'm in the process of trying to do the same thing you are. I really only want one 12 but I do want to keep my t-tops in the back since in Michigan it could be sunny in the morning and storming in the afternoon lol.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
mcd

I just folded down the back seat and put it in a regular box for now, haven't found anyone that makes the custom box for a single 12". I emailed Ground Shaker asking if they could possibly make me a box like the one for the 15" I posted above about a month ago and they never got back to me so I'm thinking we're SOL haha. Looks like we'd have to have one custom made. Shouldn't be too hard, just tedious work getting the right measurements for the hatch. I've seen a couple of those boxes that still have slots under the box for the TT's, don't know how well they would work or if you'd really want to use them though.