Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Attempting HID Mod into Halo Mod 96

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Attempting HID Mod into Halo Mod 96

Hey everyone. I'm going to attempt to turn my Simulated HID Halo Driving Lights into actual HID headlights, and still keep the Halos. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not. I'm not sure if this mod has ever been attempted before with these same parts. I am sure however, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated! I'm open for advice as I've never done this type of thing before. I've never even installed HID lights ever. But it all seems simple enough, or at least in my head it does.

Ok so here's the idea:

Car: 96 Z

I'm going to order a SP H.I.D. Xenon Technology conversion kit with slim digital ballast from www.hidspeed.com

These here:
http://www.hidspeed.com/HID_conversi...slimhidkit.htm

I already have the Halo driving lights installed on my car.

I removed one of the high beam lights to examine the whole light itself to see if I can some how fit a HID light in the housing.

If your familiar with HIDs you may or may not know if this is possible. Im going to remove the halogen bulb to see if there is enough space in the housing to house an HID bulb. Anyways here are the pics of the dismantle of one of these lights.

So I'm thinking I can just slide the HID bulb in the hole there then seal it and close it all up. Sounds simple enough. Just dont know if measurments will allow it. I might have to screw or super glue it in place to hold tight. I will order the HID kit conversion from hidspeed.com when I get paid. I'll be sure to post progress at it happens. And a how to write up if everything turns out good.

I put the light and housing back together again, and bolted it back on car.

Thanks for reading my post. Questions, comments, and advice, please let me know!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Did the hid mod work ?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

How hot do actual HID lights get? I changed out the bulbs inside of those lights to 100 watters and they will burn you if you touch the metal part of the light.