Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

aftermarket tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default aftermarket tachometer

When i bought my car about a year ago (95 z28) the previous owner had installed 2 additional tachs on the dash for a total of 3. I have never been very fond of them and recently i decided i wanted to take them out. The problem is that they are wired in and i dont know where the wires go. The tachs are drilled into the dash and i could just unscrew them and take them out however the wires from the tach to the car can't be disconnected unless cut or i find out where the wires go and disconnect them from wherever they are. My question is where are the wires going? and can i cut the wires without it causing any problems? (like messing up the computer or something because knowing my luck it would somehow lol)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

3 tachs eh? He ever say what purpose THREE tachs serves? lol I'd like to see that, got any pics?

You COULD just cut the wires, label them and cap the ends. Or you could trace the wires see where they go and disconnect them that way. I don't know anything about tachs or what you'd have to move out of the way to see where the wires go though, those 2 ideas just came to mind right off the bat.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

haha i could take pics if i could figure out how to put them on here lol. there is one on the left side dash right next to the windshield and there is one right in the middle of the dash above the vents for AC and heater haha. like i said i have never been fond of them and finally have gotten sick of them enough to want to take them out. But you think i could just cut the wires and then like electrical tape them together or something? The wires go into the dash and and then i dont know where otherwise i would follow them, and taking apart my dash is not an option for me. here is the link to the tach that is in the middle of the dash http://www.driftformula.com/auto-eshop/5%20JDM%204in1%20Gauge.jpg
i cant find the other tachometer online its off brand.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snugz13
haha i could take pics if i could figure out how to put them on here lol. there is one on the left side dash right next to the windshield and there is one right in the middle of the dash above the vents for AC and heater haha. like i said i have never been fond of them and finally have gotten sick of them enough to want to take them out. But you think i could just cut the wires and then like electrical tape them together or something? The wires go into the dash and and then i dont know where otherwise i would follow them, and taking apart my dash is not an option for me. here is the link to the tach that is in the middle of the dash http://www.driftformula.com/auto-eshop/5%20JDM%204in1%20Gauge.jpg
i cant find the other tachometer online its off brand.
Geez, rice much? lol good thing you rescued the 'maro from him or I'm sure he'd put some japanese symbols and a wing on it . I'd say you could just cut them, wrap each end SEPERATELY with electrical tape, AND cap the ends with plastic wire caps (unsure of the exact name of it lol) just to be safe, then tape the wires together maybe midlength and label them just so you don't mess with it later and forget what they're for and you'll be fine. Just be sure the car's OFF before you start messing with any wires .

I'm no expert with wiring but have done some stuff in the past so if any of this is wrong guys please correct me. Otherwise, hope this helps.

BTW, to load pics, click 'Photo Gallery' at the top by the 'User CP' link among other links and click 'Add Album'. Should be self explanatory from there .

Last edited by imalixZ28; 03-31-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the help I will probably do that today I appreciate it