93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

What year did they stop using steel rims?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What year did they stop using steel rims?

I'm trying to improve my mileage (13mpg) and right now I have 22" rims and I found some what the guy says is stock alloy rims and I know I can check when I go see them tomorrow by putting a magnet on them but the suspense is killing me.. They are 17 inch so my question is what year did they stop putting steel rims on our cars? And with the smaller rims will I get better mpg in town well better then 13 mpg?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM
4th Gear Member

As far as when the material may have been changed, I have no clue. What I do know is that you should be getting better than 13 mpg, regardless of rim size. Larger rims add more weight, but require the tires sidewall to be thinner meaning less rolling resistance and the opposite is for smaller rims/thicker sidewalls.

That being said, while I agree that you should get rid of the 22in rims (they are not meant for our cars) there needs to be something else causing such low mpg. First off, manual or automatic tranny? When was the last tune up? How's the air pressure in the tires? Low pressure can lower mpg. Any extra weight in the vehicle? And more importantly, what are your driving habits like? Excessive braking and fast acceleration from red lights/stop signs will lower mpg.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As I all but outright told you in your other thread: https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...els-mpg-70719/, you're barking up the wrong tree about your poor mpg issue.
But, on behalf of true Camaro lovers everywhere, thank you for wanting to get rid of those 22's. Could be your car is trying to get even with you for degrading it so, but I doubt it!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
As far as when the material may have been changed, I have no clue. What I do know is that you should be getting better than 13 mpg, regardless of rim size. Larger rims add more weight, but require the tires sidewall to be thinner meaning less rolling resistance and the opposite is for smaller rims/thicker sidewalls.

That being said, while I agree that you should get rid of the 22in rims (they are not meant for our cars) there needs to be something else causing such low mpg. First off, manual or automatic tranny? When was the last tune up? How's the air pressure in the tires? Low pressure can lower mpg. Any extra weight in the vehicle? And more importantly, what are your driving habits like? Excessive braking and fast acceleration from red lights/stop signs will lower mpg.
Hey I have a auto tranny, my tire pressure is good. I took the speaker bOx out tonight. My driving habits aren't as my name says.. Yes u like speed but I also like money n don't want to waste them on speeding tickets.. Now would I need a tune up if my cars timing ad idle are fine? And yes I live in LA so braking and accelerating is very common.. Seems like I never catch at least 4 straight green lights and people over here drive like idiots

Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
But, on behalf of true Camaro lovers everywhere, thank you for wanting to get rid of those 22's. Could be your car is trying to get even with you for degrading it so, but I doubt it!
LMAO...It literally kills me every time I see one of those ghetto looking Camaros or old school Monte SS's on 22's...or something even bigger.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by flowride
LMAO...It literally kills me every time I see one of those ghetto looking Camaros or old school Monte SS's on 22's...or something even bigger.
For everyone's info I bought the car that way and quickly sold traded those rims for a vw bug and bought a set of 17's for my camaro

Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Speedfreak02
For everyone's info I bought the car that way and quickly sold traded those rims for a vw bug and bought a set of 17's for my camaro
Just say no to the donk'd Camaro...