93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

35th Anniversary Grille Removal For Stripe Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 06:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 35th Anniversary Grille Removal For Stripe Replacement

Recently purchased 2002 35th Anniversary coupe. Car is all stock except for Borla exhaust. Paint and stripes are in excellent condition with the exception of the 2 small silver stripes below the grille. Seller gave me 2 new replacement stripes.
My question is how do I remove the black grille to remove the remnants of the old stripes and install the new stripes? I don't see any screws/fasteners securing it. I pulled outward on both ends of the grille and both ends will move nearly an inch outward, but the center area, behind the CAMARO letters, is solid and doesn't move. Didn't want to pull too hard, being afraid I might break some fasteners.
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

The short answer is I don't think the grille can be removed without damaging it unless the front fascia is removed. The problem is the grille assembly has plastic posts or studs that are part of the molded part and these studs go through the fascia and are held in place with a fastener on the back side that can only be accessed if the fascia has been removed from the car. By forcibly pulling the grille out the front without removing these fasteners will almost assure that at least some of these studs will break off in the process and not allow a means to reinstall and hold the grille in place. That said, the front fascia is not hard to remove. It is held in place mostly by Xmas tree type push in fasteners and just two bolts on each side where it connects to the front fenders. Are you sure the graphics are under the grille?

Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, upon closer inspection................I used a small wooden wedge between the bottom of the grille and the fascia and got enough space to see that the top of the stripe was only about 1/8" behind the front lip of the bottom edge of the grille. And, seeing that, I don't think I'll have an issue removing the old stripes or installing the new ones.
Much ado about nothing I guess! Thanks for your info.