93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Default wtf

just finished doing a head gasket on a 3.4 cranked right up ran good then smoke started pouring outta the exuast. its not running real ruff so iam thinking maybe the lower intake manifold? also ireved it and it reved fine then staring making what iam thinking is some lifter tap due to diluted oil.....any thoughts?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: wtf

What color smoke?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM

white and its really light (in other words it appears nearly the same density as air dont haul *** up or fall straight down)

Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Overdrive Member

White smoke is indicative of coolant leaking into cylinders.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM

yeah i know but iam 99 percent sure the heads fine it wasnt warped and all traces of gasket were gone when i installed the new one but the lower intake surface was alittle dinged up guess ill pull it back apart till i find traces of water leaking over a gasket

Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If its a lot of steam then you could pull the plugs, That would tell you where the leak is so you can look extra close at that area.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM

man i didnt even think of that[sm=thanx.gif] anything else?i put brand new plugs in it so whatll they look like after a couple minutes of runing?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

everytime after I get done doing a head gasket job there is some white smoke. As long as you torqued everything to spec and the head and block are fine and the white smoke isn't real heavyjust go drive it for a little bit. Remember when you pulled the head off and coolant went into the cylinders?? Its more that likely just burning off the rest of what you didn't get out of the cylinders before putting the head back on (assuming you did try to get what coolant you could out of the cylinders before putting the head on lol)

Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM

yeah i got it all out but it only stated smoking after 5 mins (assuming enough time for the thermo to open) and its smoking pretty good. i KNOW i torqued everything right but i did notice the lower intake was scratched up pretty good.........

Old 12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you have an engine that's pouring out that much white smoke, you NEVER want to purposely take it out on the road. And don't start it up again!!! If coolant is getting into the crankcase, you could do some serious damage to your bearings and toast your crank in the process.
You just did a head gasket job. Did you see where the leak (assuming you had one) was coming from then? The gasket(s) leaked for a reason.
Did you take the heads to a machine shop to get them checked for both straightness, and cracks that may not be easily visible by eye?