93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 AM

I'm unsure if I should replace it; I've had knocking while idling since I bought the car but it stops when I get up to speed. As for the fix for the timing cover and head gasket, I was quoted 1,800. I don't think this is a shop that will swap the engine out if it's not a new one, though.

Like I said, guys, I'm all for doing it myself, I just can't be without my DD for weeks while swapping the engine out. Maybe I'll just buy another car and fix this on the side. I'll make sure I post pictures when I fix the Camaro (it'll be like Gorn's infamous months-long thread though, I imagine).

Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Trade it in on a nice Z. Just be sure you negelect to tell the dealer it has a bad head gasket

Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm getting ready to put a new engine in my camaro as well. When it comes back from the paint shop it'll be time to put it away for the winter so I'm thinking that this is the time to get the new engine and let it spend a month at the mechanic's place.
I'm choosing to go with a long block GM replacement engine to keep the car as stock as possible. The cost so far for the project is going to be in the range of 2500.00 for the engine, approximately 1100.00 for the labor, and I'm holding another 1000.00 for misc parts and gotcha's.
I realize that this plus the 2500.00 in paint I am having done to it now equate to more than the book value on the car, however it will be basically a new car when I'm done, and the total cost of the project including the car itself will be just under 10 grand.
When I do the math on it personally I find that a new car for under 10 grand is a much better deal than a new car for 35 grand.
So wether or not you put a motor in or buy a new car or buy someone else's problems is kind of a judgement call.
Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Disclaimer..... The following statement is not intended as a flame, but a simple observation and food for thought.

In never ceases to amaze me how many people would actually be very angry if the dealer "Neglected to tell you that the car your buying has a bad head gasket" but have no problem when the positions are reversed.

End Disclaimer....

Van

Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

haha good point Van thats definately what it comes down to though not necessarily what the vehicle is worth but what it is worth to you... you dont have the funds to drop into the car right now and you cant go without a car so its decision time... just take into consideration what Gorn said about paying to fix the gasket with the posibility that in three weeks time something else goes wrong and that two grand is gone now you need another 3500 to fix the new problem best of luck

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Disclaimer..... The following statement is not intended as a flame, but a simple observation and food for thought.

In never ceases to amaze me how many people would actually be very angry if the dealer "Neglected to tell you that the car your buying has a bad head gasket" but have no problem when the positions are reversed.

End Disclaimer....

Van[/quote]

Buyer Beware works both ways too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many peaople will buy a 10+ year old car without having it checked by an experienced mechanic, and then have the nerve to complain when their "new" (100k + mi. car ) needs a head gasket.

Just food for thought

Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

[quote=machine1999z28;

Buyer Beware works both ways too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many peaople will buy a 10+ year old car without having it checked by an experienced mechanic, and then have the nerve to complain when their "new" (100k + mi. car ) needs a head gasket.

Just food for thought [/quote]

i bought a car with 100k+ and didnt have a mechanic look at it haha whatcha trying to say

Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ And if that car turned out to have a major problem, would you blame yourself for not having it checked?

Im just saying that neither dealer or buyer has any right to complain about problems a car may have if they do not have it properly checked.

I'm not saying that you should lie or rig a car to make it look like a problem dosent exist. But I don't think anyone trying to sell a car is going to point out every flaw. I admit that I would feel bad if I sold someone a car with a major defect, but not so much if I trade it to a dealer. Their only gonna give you bare min. for your car and try to turn it for profit. Meanwhile their selling you a car that they just bought washed and marked the price up a couple grand.

Guess what I'm trying to say is dont feel bad if you "stick it to the man" caues he sure dosent feel bad about doing it to you.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I think for us that would be the best route, I would do the exact same thing. What would we be risking? $200 in parts and couple of weekends of work and maybe 2 cases of beer that we would drank anyway. But for someone paying for labor you really need to concider the cost. He is facing 1500-1800 bill to pc back together a high miles motor that has mosly likely over heated. If it fails is three weeks there will be no going back to the mechanic for anything but the $3000-$3700 repair. Better for him to take the hit now (if he is going to fix it all) then to gamble with the first repair.
Yeah good point labor costs are insane now... He'd probably be better off buying another Camaro with that said lol

Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Hey guys, just a quick update...

I may actually be able to save my Camaro within this week! My girl's father used to be work in a shop for about 10 years and he offered to do the swap for 400 bucks (he's out of work right now, so he needs the money). I also found a rebuilt 3.4L engine for 1400 with a 3-year unlimited mile warranty, so things are looking bright right now.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear nice find

Quick Reply: Worth the Money?