93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Default Worth the Money?

Hey guys... My 95 V6 3.4L Camaro was leaking fluids, so I tried swapping out the water pump, the radiator, the thermostat, and even a few hoses, but it seemed I still had somewhat of a leak, so I took it to my mechanic.

Turns out? My timing cover gasket is leaking and my head gasket is leaking. Apparently this has been going on for a little while, because I have started seeing coolant in my oil.

So, now I can fund my mechanic to fix those issues, but he said that more issues can and may come about without just replacing the engine.

I wanted to ask you guys... How much do you think I can get a refurb engine for, and how much should I be expecting a mechanic to swap it with my current one for? Also, would you guys swap out your engine, or would you just buy another Camaro? I figured if I buy someone elses' and they didn't take as good of care of their car as I took of mine, I might just be inheriting even more issues. What do you think?

Thanks for the input!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

you can get a USED motor for maybe about 600 bucks and then just make sure you replace all the gaskets while the car is apart as far as instalation charge wouldnt have the slightest clue but yes if the leak has been going on for a while chances are you will run into more problems down the road

Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the input; I love my Camaro and I really want to get it fixed, I just don't want to have to pay too much more than buying another one, you know?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

$1500 for a reman engine
$1000-$1500 labor (depending on your area)
$500-$700 Wear items.

Total $3000 to $3700
I would guess, You can find a camaro for less then that but it would not have a new motor. You would only think about this if the rest of the car was in really nice shape and you planned on keeping the car a long time.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-30-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
$1500 for a reman engine
$1000-$1500 labor (depending on your area)
$500-$700 Wear items.

Total $3000 to $3700
I would guess, You can find a camaro for less then that but it would not have a new motor. You would only think about this if the rest of the car was in really nice shape and you planned on keeping the car a long time.
Really, the car is in mechanically nice shape. I just put new tires on it, a new radiator, a new water pump, and serviced the tranny. I don't want to inherit someone else's problems, but I could probably find a Camaro with a body in better condition than mine... The guy who had my car before me smashed the driver-side door in a little and its got its fair share of scratches, too.

However, I do plan on keeping the car as long as possible, but I really just want to have a car that runs and makes me happy for as long as possible. I'm unsure if I'd be better off getting another car and it would last me longer or just keeping mine; it's really a tough call. I might be able to find another Camaro for less than that, but who knows the condition? I'm just unsure of what to do.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

For about $3500 you can find a decent 98. The 3.8 offers a nice HP upgrade and get better gas mileage on the highway. Just make sure you have a mechanic check it out before you buy it.

For me the best deal was to install a used motor. I was able to find a 2002 motor for $600 with 48K on it. But I am a do it yourselfer. If I was paying someone else to install it I would have been gone with a new motor. Most shops will not install used engines cause of the possible issues.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah I may just have to buy a new car/Camaro, unfortunately. I'm still kinda undecided.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer for anything that doesn't require engine work; I don't really trust myself to do that kind of work. I'm a Server Administrator so I'm a lot better with computers than I am with cars, haha. I'm trying to improve my skills with working with cars, but since this is my DD, I can't go without a car for more than a few days, so I may have to get another car and fix this one on the side.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:54 AM
4th Gear Member

I have busted 2 head gaskets and 1 timing cover gasket... 100k miles on the engine in my car and I have no extra problems. Just depends on how much coolant in the oil. I'd just swap the head gaskets and timing cover gasket and keep an eye out for metal in the oil and LISTEN for knocking. Too much coolant in the oil for too long will lead to knocking and eventually spinning a bearing.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by evilkal
I have busted 2 head gaskets and 1 timing cover gasket... 100k miles on the engine in my car and I have no extra problems. Just depends on how much coolant in the oil. I'd just swap the head gaskets and timing cover gasket and keep an eye out for metal in the oil and LISTEN for knocking. Too much coolant in the oil for too long will lead to knocking and eventually spinning a bearing.
I think for us that would be the best route, I would do the exact same thing. What would we be risking? $200 in parts and couple of weekends of work and maybe 2 cases of beer that we would drank anyway. But for someone paying for labor you really need to concider the cost. He is facing 1500-1800 bill to pc back together a high miles motor that has mosly likely over heated. If it fails is three weeks there will be no going back to the mechanic for anything but the $3000-$3700 repair. Better for him to take the hit now (if he is going to fix it all) then to gamble with the first repair.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sell or trade it in and go for a different camaro. if your not doing the work yourself u will have to much invested in the final product.

Quick Reply: Worth the Money?