93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

who said 3.4's are slow?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear member
Default who said 3.4's are slow?!

I think i put this in the wrong forum earlier...

I'm not saying Im the fastest V6 around at all by far! But my 3.4 is quick. When I got it it was bone stock 5 speed manual. and yes it was a little slow. So the first thing i did was replace the existing exhaust with a magnaflow. I wanted to see how restrictive the factory exhaust actually was so I ran a water hose through the inlet. it has so many baffles and deadends that The entire muffler filled with water and never came out of the exit. It just overflowed and held the water. Anyways I made a cold air intake for it. My intake is true cold air/ram air setup. the K&N filter goes down and is right by the air dam. I bent the air dam so that it wouldnt block the filter so it gets tons of cold air. I then relocated my IAT sensor by simply splicing into it with longer wires so it can reach the intake. It is right after my filter so it gets a very accurate read. I tried one of those resistor mod chips off ebay but i bought it at radio shack for 30 cents. I guess i noticed a difference but I took it out because it reads the temp as a constant 58 degrees, and the way my intake is setup it gets air that is colder than 58* so it was actually robbing some horsepower. (very Little maybe 1-3 hp) Anyways i am right now in the process of engineering an even greater intake than what i have now. My PCM is tuned. I am pondering the thought of getting my intake manifold ported and polished to provide better air flow. My car sounds great. It sound like a suped up v6. It doesn't sound like a wannabe v8.
Although alot of people have told me they thought it was a V8 until I said other wise.
I've heard alot of people claim that the 3.4 is weak and isn't worth modifying. It has the potentialb to be a good engine the only thing that holds it back is the fact that for some reason GM's Y shaped intake pleneum looks like it is wide when in reality it is thick with only a tiny path for air to travel threw. That is it's weakness. My concept is this.... The more air you can stuff into the engine the more horsepower. It's a proven fact so thats what i plan to do. I am going to keep this naturally aspirated due to the fact that turbo'ing these 3.4 are too expensive and I dont even think Tiago is making them any more...If you don't know about Tiago's turboed 3.4 Firebird check him and others out at Force Fed Fabrications
I haven't found any mustangs that want to run yet.. But I know I can take a v6 mustang,except probably not the 05-07'sThe only one i know of is my buddy Andy's 94 GT with a badass 4.6,Chipped, CAI, Flowmasters with Cutout, and A shift kit. That car is wickedly fast. I would have no chance.

Two of my proudest wins were to the following:
So far I've beaten a 99 camaro with the 3800 SeriesII////it gave me a run like hell
*98 Monte Carlo 3.8 Z34 with the 3.8 Had A bodykit, looked nice, Those 3800 Series II's Pull Hard!
Tonight a 86 Iroc Z Stock 305 5 speed manual flowmaster exhaust.

Few Other Minor Kills
*Various sunfire gts and cavaliers,
*My Buddy's 2001 Eclipse RS
* An older Honda that flipped me off so I chased him down and was going to kick his *** and led me to getting pulled over. wait till I find him again.
*86 3.1 Camaro stock, nothing special but It's still a Camaro!

After my First Mustang Kill I will reward the camaro with this

$12.00
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/vinyl/vinyl.htm

There's a a story behind that also... when i was at walmart some *******s in a mustang waited for me to go into the store and then I came out to The words ***** CAR written all over my windows. I found one of the guys that did it when I was at a party and i stomped his ***. So I'm a little satisfied.

Anyways There's my 2 cents for the day.

94CamaroSFI
Aaron

Old 12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: who said 3.4's are slow?!

Right on, I fully believe in keeping it fully natural, supercharging or a turbo were the last things in my book to do. And that restriction in the exhasut is bogus, I didnt know about the Y pipe but the pipe coming into it from the headers, looks like a worm how many times its crimped not to mention in some spots its a little dented lol. Room mate has a Jetta GLI with CAI tuned turbo and whatnot, now this thing is faster, not a lot but it is faster than a WRX and hes had his fair share of runs with em too, same with the SRT-4's he keeps up with em through third, then they pull hard, but my V6(1999 3800II) holds with him. His is barely faster, I mean enough where we were getting onto the interstate, and I had one car on him getting on he was in the outside, gunned it at the same time, then doing about 85 he had pulled half way up. Off the line though, He has a better gear ration and that turbo kicks hard. So I know if I or you was to go agianst a WRX already rolling it would be a great race. Mind you I jsut got my camaro a month and a half ago so Im getting a lot better at popping it off the line, wierdest clutch at least for me to get use to, the next was a ex-gf's dads porsche. But with that turbo, His car off the line Just skips forward (Has ESP also, a nice traction control which allows the wheels to chirp and not spin, so the RPM's keep staying high and moving but allows for slip.)

I do not believe for one second the V6 is slow, granted its not a Z28 or SS but for what it is, its a extremly fast engine, a little heavy for what Im use to, but for what it is, its a great engine and by no means slow.
And I have seen some 3.4's that are total killers. I havent had a chance to go with any, a lot of people wont even try and race. Just because its a Camaro. Exept for this one hot mom in a Explorer, I just drove next to her

In my book a Camaro is a Camaro and there are certain standards it must uphold, for being a naturally aspired V6 whether the 3.4 or 3.8 it is not slow by anymeans. Thats why I opped for not dropping a big block into it, but instead making the V6 fast, its a fast car, just got to let it breathe and stretch its legs a little.

Ok my 2 cents as well.

Dave

Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Sooperdewd is your camaro an RS or does it just have RS ground fxs? either way it looks great dewd!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Slow is what You want it to be. Some guys think a 13 second car is fast and others aren't happy until they're well into the eights. It just what You get used to.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I know you're going for the whole N/A thing and that's cool, but, you talk about wanting to stuff as much air in as possible... Well, that is a supercharger/turbo. You'd notice an insane hp increase, enough to the point where with a couple more mods, you'd hang with the SS and Z's.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Turbo Applications for the 3.4 is a f*ckin' headache and expensive or Id have one. I was thinking about adding a 50-75 shot into my intake so yeah.... Eventually I will have the 3400 heads and intake swap.(shown in Pics)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4475/A0248319BFAD4944A759F883938CCAE2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4475/CFAA0C54928C48038CD81F794BC72760.jpg[/IMG]