93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Where is crank position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Default Where is crank position sensor?

I have a mechanic working on my son's 92 RS with 3.1 V-6. He doesn't know ehere to find the crank position sensor. Help, please! Thanks!

UPDATE:

Thanks for the speedy replies. Still no luck, but I hear the concensus telling me to get rid of the guy that has been working on this problem for me. On Monday I think I'll have AAA tow it south 40 miles to my sister's ASE mechanic. This all started when the car just stopped running while driving 30 mph on our street. It was then turning over faster than normal, but would not fire up. This fellow I met said he works on cars at peoples' homes, so I asked him to come by. We had already replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and coil within the last 500 miles. This "mechanic" tested several things (spark, fuel, etc.), then ascertained that I needed a new distributor. He was careful in swapping it out for the new one, but it still turns over fast and will not start.

I work with electronics in my career as a security system engineer, and can handle a lot of car-related things, but wanted to pass on this because of my busy schedule lately. BUT, if there's something I can check out before towing it 40 miles, I'll give it a shot! Thanks again, fellas!

Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Where is crank position sensor?

Well then if he can't find it, I wouldn't let him work on it. Um last time I checked, Crank positioning sensor is usually by the crankshaft.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Droid

There are 2 crankshaft position sensors: 3X & 24X. The 3X sensor, also called the ignition timing sensor, is mounted on the right side of the block at midengine pointing to the crankshaft reluctor ring. The 24X sensor ( low speed sensor) is mounted on the front cover behind the harmonic balancer and reads the notches cut into the balancer.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Overdrive Member

That V6 wont have a crank position sensor. The only thing that would comunicate with the computer in that sence would be the module in the distributer.
Oh and like Shnormo said, I would not let him work on it either.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Tech Droid

My bad, should have read the year the car was built.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the speedy replies. On Monday I think I'll have AAA tow it south 40 miles to my sister's ASE mechanic. This all started when the car just stopped running while driving 30 mph on our street. It was then turning over faster than normal, but would not fire up. This fellow I met said he works on cars at peoples' homes, so I asked him to come by. We had already replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and coil within the last 500 miles. This "mechanic" tested several things (spark, fuel, etc.), then ascertained that I needed a new distributor. He was careful in swapping it out for the new one, but it still turns over fast and will not start.

I work with electronics in my career as a security system engineer, and can handle a lot of car-related things, but wanted to pass on this because of my busy schedule lately. BUT, if there's something I can check out before towing it 40 miles, I'll give it a shot! Thanks again, fellas!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Overdrive Member

On a car with a timing belt (your has a chain) The first thing I would look at when some one described the problem like yours is the timing belt. When they loose teeth or break if the valves dont hit the pistons they will spin fast. Pop the dist cap off and check and see if it turns while cranking the motor.