93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6-V8 swap: How to

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Remy
Hmm... I'll have look into investing in a new hood then. I just barely started tearing into the wiring for my own LS swap. Still got to pull the motor out, find a low mileage 5.3l motor and tranny and stuff it in that tiny engine bay.

I would not use a 5.3L in these cars. The block is iron and the intakes are too tall to fit under the cowl. That engine is made for a truck and set up to tow and haul. They do not produce the same power as the LS1 engine. Also the swap is not just the engine and computer and there ya go. The swap involves ALOT more, including the wiring under the dash, gauge cluster, fuel lines, brake lines depending on the year of the doner car. Things like the heater box may be different depending on the year as well. This is not just a simple swap the cars are built to the engine they come with.

Massey

Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM

You can make the LM7 fit, you'll just need to swap the intake manifold, injectors and fuel rail from an LS1. You lose a little low end torque with the manifold swap because the truck manifold's longer runners increase the velocity at which the air enters the combustion chamber, giving it that low end grunt used for towing.

There is only a difference of 10 hp between the z28 LS1 and the LM7, but the LM7 makes its peak hp and torque at lower RPMs than the LS1 because of the cam profile and the truck's intake and as far as weight goes, the difference between the two is only 85lbs. Not much difference since it's going in a LT1 based f-body anyway. Besides the 5.3l motor and tranny is waay cheaper and easier to find.

I'm not offened or anything, I'm just saying I've done my research, my good sir. I know what I'm looking at and what to expect with this project. Wrecked chevy trucks are plentiful in West Texas, f-bodies, ehh, not so much.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Originally Posted by Gorn

Edit:
Your best bet would be to find a Z28 with a blown motor and put the rebuilt motor in that. Since your going to need a doner car anyway you can get a Z28 with a blown motor for around $800, it would be a quick swap and when your done you will have a 3K Z28 and your V6 car. If your then sold the V6 you could end up with $1500 to $2000 and the Z28 will be worth twice what the converted V6 is.
Where would be a good place to look for salvageable camaros for the low prices you're talkin'? Would these same places be a good spot to find decent engines?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I see them on craigs list almost everyday.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM

How about this.just a idea I'm getting a near 0 mile summit 350 crate motor complete cammed still cast iron heads but is a round a 360hp motor and a rebuilt auto trans..for free from by brother out of his 87 monte carlo ss... is it worth the swap since the car is a v6, but on the other hand I have the engine and trans and once in car I can build another one the way I want....

Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Overdrive Member

first off why put an old skool engine in a new car? I know it has massive HP and what have you but that engine will not function properly in your car and you will not be a happy camper the first time you need to do anything with the distributor. if you are going to do the swap get a 98-02 LS1 car and move EVERYTHING from the doner car to your car. NOTHING in the wiring, brakes, and powertrain will cary over and prolly will want to change the suspension since the LS1 gets heavier springs too. Big job, trust me here OK

Massey

Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 PM

if i can put a carbed 350 in an rx7 i can put a carbed v8 in 97 camaro RS. a small block chev is a small block chev. who cares if i have to cut a hole in my hood it will look badass and it will go faster and it will give me something to do. hell maybe il put a ford 302 in it just to make people mad sounds like a great idea, to bad i got smart and sold my camaro cuz its a POS chev and bought a Jeep. And guess what im putting a V8 in my Cherokee and to think i swapped an inline 6 for a V8 OMG.
Mopar or no car.

Last edited by jeff2285; 10-06-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Nothing like a troll hitting the internet.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am used to being bashed as a Camaro owner. Some of my friends drive BMW, Mercedes and Lexus but a Jeep owner. Man that hurts, it like being called ugly by Ernest Borgnine

Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Default swapping

Doing a V6 to V8 swap and am wondering if you can use motor mounts from a car like a z28 or ss for the new sbc motor and if the mounting places are in the same spot? i am making this car into a street/drag car not just your daily driver

Quick Reply: V6-V8 swap: How to