93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6-V8 swap: How to

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Default 87 rs

I have an 87 Rally Sport and im not sure about how much it would cost to swap the v6 out for the bigger 5.0v8.. can anybody give me a ballpark number?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Dam. I actually was hoping this was a real guide.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM

why not a swap to a carb 8 . no ecu tune BS also just a new fuel pump and a little guage screwing around and it would be good to go.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jeff2285
why not a swap to a carb 8 . no ecu tune BS also just a new fuel pump and a little guage screwing around and it would be good to go.
You realize depending on the year your computer talks to almost every system in the car. You can't just disconect it or everything stops working and your dash lights up like a xmas tree. Also the Carb will not fit without a cowl hood and cutting into the cowl. Also forget about working on the distibutor you will have trouble even touching it, forget about setting timing or changine a cap. Not to mention you will still need the frame and trans from a V8 car.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-10-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 AM

what you just said makes absolutly no sense at all

Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Which fact is that. The fact that all the control moduals are connected together and talk to eachother or that fact a carbed 350 will not fit unless you replace a section of the frame and saw out stuff?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here is a thread from a member that has completed the task. Please read it carfully. Note he had to build his own gage cluster and create is own engine wiring harness. Not to mention all the fabrication work. My hat is off to him for finishing the job but I think you will see putting an old school 350 in a 4th gen is not a good way to go if you are limited in funds also Note the shop he is working in. Rebuilding a V8 car would be cheap and childs play compair this project

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/my-engine-swap-progress-3-4-5-7-a-45720/

One of the few people that have done it.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...a-45720/page2/

Last edited by Gorn; 02-21-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Overdrive Member

I love the comic that is great, and correct

Having experienced a swap between a 96 RS 3.8 and a 2000 Z28 here is the skinny

Buy Cheap V6 car.
Buy Expensive Z28.
Get Z28 Totaled by young girl who has only been driving for 2 weeks.
Buy Totaled Z back from insurance after they pay it off.
Tow Z home
Park both cars in Garage and strip the RS to a bare chassis (EVERYTHING must go including the taillights, brake lines, fuel lines, wiring etc)
Remove Z engine, tranny and suspension and move aside.
Start swapping brake and fuel lines under car
Strip the interior of the Z and swap it to totally stripped RS chassis. Note even the heater box is different (this may not be needed if the cars are the same year, but the wiring behind the dash will be different (just trust me on that one OK)
after you have completed all the support equipment and ammenities swap then you can think about the engine. now is the time to change out any gaskets or plugs or anything you think may be a good idea while the engine is not stuffed under the front glass and dash.
Now you may put the car on top of the engine and put the suspension under the car as well. Use the crossmember from the Z and all the suspension parts as well. (again just trust me here and save you alot of time)
last but not least double check all fittings and wires to make sure everything is good.
Bleed brakes.
top off any fluids
Start engine.
Engine does not start so you scratch your head for a while.
Find the Crank Position sensor came unplugged durring the swap, remove starter to plug wire back in and try starting again.
Start Engine (Varooooommmmmmm)
Smile
If the CEL is on visit your local O'reilly's or Advanced auto to have the code checked (prolly just need to have it cleared because of the swap, wait to see if it comes on again and then diagnose a problem)
If you consumed vast quantities of beer or other alcohol durring this swap, seek a treatment program as soon as possible you have become an alcoholic, and that will ruin your family, and you will be left living in a trailer in some backwoods place with nothing but your swapped Camaro.

This is what my buddy went through to get his swap done. Now both of the cars were OBD II cars, this helped. The only major problem we ran into was the fact that the RS was not the updated design. There were a few things that we needed to modify to make this work like the tranny X member. If you stay year to year this swap should be alot easier but I would still take the dash and wiring from the doner car and put it in the v6 car.

I read above about someone wanting to put a carburated engine in a 4th gen. Good luck buddy, also how are you going to mess with the distributor? Do you know that the LT series engines do not have a distributor in the back of the engine? Your distributor is behind the water pump. the system is called OptiSpark, good idea but bad implimentation (sp sry). If a fuel injected engine scares you and you want to go to a carb then ditch the high performance engine technology find a 3rd gen camaro and go to town. If you want to get 25+mpg while pushing 350 or more horsepower then get a book and learn about EFI, OBDII and how to properly tune a modern engine. The bennifits way out weigh any carb engine, and the learning curve is not that bad, the principals are all the same the method is different.

To any one out there doing this swap, have fun with it. I would do it again but only with the doner car sitting next to the project car.

Oh yea the RS/Z28 has been running problem free now for 6 months, no CEL and no mechanical issues what so ever, and it is a fun car to drive.

Massey

Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nice write up Massey. Here is a link from the FAQ sticky. It list all the things that will need changed and some of what needs changed if the V8 car and V6 years do not match.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

Note this only covers up to 97 Lt1.

Hopfully this will cut down on the "How do I put a V8 into a V6" post by guys on their first post

Last edited by Gorn; 05-01-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default V6 to V-8 Swap

Having performed this swap. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It isn't difficult at all, just time consuming. The only thing that didn't work for awhile was the airconditioning. It would blow down at my feet after I charged it. It started working fine one day, it must have been a lack of use thing. One thing I can say is I know that car inside and out. It was alot of fun.

Quick Reply: V6-V8 swap: How to