93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6-V8 swap: How to

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have looked around and i wiould hope that this post would help but it didnt... so will an ls1 fit in a 94? i know the lt1 will, because thats what the z28 came with. is there anything special to getting an ls1 in it? also will any of the other ls series engines fit? i was thinking ls3???

Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Oh, but the post did help, you just need to reread it.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default LS1 into a 1994

Yes it will fit, but you will need the 1998 and newer front end onto it. There are clearance problems. You would need an entire donor car, it makes things easier.I have done this swap myself on my own 1996 Camaro. The hood wouldn't shut with the older nose on it. The newer nose is a direct bolt on, only two holes are needed to be drilled for the lower headlight mounts. Even the plug ins for the headlights are the same. The brackets for the front bumper are different thats about it for that. You may be able to get a different style of hood that may make the engine fit.
Swap everything over, crossmembers, fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, dash, console, brake lines, brake cables, rearend. I did the swap in a little over a week, it isn't hard, just time consuming. Everything is different, so it all needs to be changed, you need a donor to do this correctly. Would I do it again? Yes, in a minute.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by RSSSCamaro
Yes it will fit, but you will need the 1998 and newer front end onto it. There are clearance problems. You would need an entire donor car, it makes things easier.I have done this swap myself on my own 1996 Camaro. The hood wouldn't shut with the older nose on it. The newer nose is a direct bolt on, only two holes are needed to be drilled for the lower headlight mounts. Even the plug ins for the headlights are the same. The brackets for the front bumper are different thats about it for that. You may be able to get a different style of hood that may make the engine fit.
Swap everything over, crossmembers, fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, dash, console, brake lines, brake cables, rearend. I did the swap in a little over a week, it isn't hard, just time consuming. Everything is different, so it all needs to be changed, you need a donor to do this correctly. Would I do it again? Yes, in a minute.

This is the owner and the car I was refering to in my post about how to make the swap. I almost added my car to the list of swapped Camaros but I could not find a dead LS1 car to act as the doner.

Massey

Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM

I just got on this site to find out if anyone has performed this swap, I got a steal on an lt1 engine (93) and am overhauling it and putting it in my 95, I have the ecm, harness and I already put a rear end in mine, my question before I roll my v-6 in the garage, does anyone know how close the motor mounts are in the two, or am I going to be breaking out the welder and moving them?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should get K member from V8 car. The K-members are shaped different for the oil pan its not just the mounts. The 93 LT1 is from a Camaro? You have all the correct bolton stuff. You got a transmission that will fit? Your 95 automatic will not bolt up and its contorled by the computer. The 93 did not control the trans. Also your 95 computer system is a OBD 1.5 the 93 is GM's older system. The 93 PCM will not play well with you 95's system. This means things like your security system will be very upset. When your security is upset your car becomes a big yard ornament.

This link show all the parts you will need to swap to do it right. Note the box at the bottom it says you need to replace all the wiring going from a 93 to a 95.
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

Edit:
Your best bet would be to find a Z28 with a blown motor and put the rebuilt motor in that. Since your going to need a doner car anyway you can get a Z28 with a blown motor for around $800, it would be a quick swap and when your done you will have a 3K Z28 and your V6 car. If your then sold the V6 you could end up with $1500 to $2000 and the Z28 will be worth twice what the converted V6 is.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-10-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RSSSCamaro
Yes it will fit, but you will need the 1998 and newer front end onto it. There are clearance problems.
Really? Where would it not clear? I imagine the intake manifold/throttle body is what your referring to.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The LS1 sits higher than the LT1, it may be all in the intake, but I doubt it. Thats why the LS1 car has a different nose on it. The hood is 2 inches higher for clearance issues.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Overdrive Member

Mainly it will not clear the intake filter box. The throttle body will just rub the underside of the hood. The rest of the engine will clear. Also on the shock tower braces, LT1 brace will not clear the LS1 intake, LS1 brace will not clear the LT1 hood.

I have seen the LS1 in the LT1 body with out changing the nose but the hood had a dent where the throttle body was. IMO I would not do this because of the intake on the LS1 being a form of plastic. If you want to keep the LT1 nose then just get a different hood that has a higher center, there are a few out there that look like the SS hood but have a non functional scoop.

Massey

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Hmm... I'll have look into investing in a new hood then. I just barely started tearing into the wiring for my own LS swap. Still got to pull the motor out, find a low mileage 5.3l motor and tranny and stuff it in that tiny engine bay.

Quick Reply: V6-V8 swap: How to